Classic Must-Watch Halloween TV Episodes and Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Halloween is one my favorite times of the year. The spooky and festive decorations, the fun and creative costumes, the candy (of course) and, my favorite part, the Halloween-themed TV episodes and movies, all contribute to the amazingness of Halloween. There’s nothing better than watching a Halloween-themed TV episode or movie to put you in the festive mood or even if you’re looking for a good scare. This Halloween, don’t miss out on these classic must-watch TV episodes and movies.

TV Episodes

Boy Meets World—“And Then There Was Shawn”

This is my all time favorite episode of Boy Meets World. It is definitely the most memorable episode and as a kid I was successfully scared out of my mind. The episode begins with the whole gang in detention after a public dispute takes place in class between Cory and Topanga. There was already an immediate frightening presence at the start of the episode when the creepy janitor continually lingered by their classroom. Things get even creepier when Mr. Feeny leaves the detention room and they’re all locked in with “Nobody Gets Out Alive” written in blood on the chalkboard. One thing leads to another and a random classmate, Kenny, is found dead with a pencil stabbed through his head (scary!!). Eric is the next to die; Jack and Angela are next (along with Jennifer Love Hewitt as she makes a guest appearance). This classic episode still scares me to this day and I can’t even imagine exactly how scared I must have been watching it as a little kid.

Friends—“The One With the Halloween Party”

Okay, so this isn’t a scary Halloween-themed TV episode, but it is definitely a classic. Also one of my favorite Friends episodes, the essence of each character is truly shown through their costume. You get Ross being his usual nerdy self as “Spud-nik”, a play on the Russian satellite Sputnik, but dressed as a potato. Joey is, of course, dressed as Chandler; sweater vest and all (could he BE wearing a funnier Halloween costume?!). Chandler gets stuck with the fuzzy and cute pink bunny that Monica picks out for him. Monica and Phoebe are both superheroes, Monica pulling off the sexy Catwomen costume, proving again she is no longer fat Monica, and Phoebe rocking “Supergirl”. Rachel comes dressed normally and claims to be “a woman wearing a dress that she will no longer fit into in nine months” because she is pregnant. Rachel also spends the episode trying to get along with the trick-or-treaters as she is going to be a new mom, but she fails. The Friends gang you all know and love are truly themselves in this fantastic episode.

Movies

Hocus Pocus

Hocus Pocus is a classic must-watch movie on Halloween.  The story of the movie is about the Sanderson Sisters who after 300 years, are resurrected in Salem Massachusetts on Halloween night, and it us up to two teenagers, a young girl, and an immortal cat to put an end to the witches reign of terror once and for all. The whole movie takes place on Halloween night so it’s obviously perfect to watch for the occasion! Although this is a Halloween movie, it is a comedy, not a horror movie. I have my own personal tradition of watching this movie every Halloween and I laugh every time.

Halloweentown

I think I can speak for mostly every girl my age when I say Halloweentown is one of the most classic Disney Channel Original Movie’s and is the perfect movie to watch on Halloween and to revisit your childhood. Everyone loves the story of Marnie, who finds out she is a witch on her 13th birthday and gets to go to Halloweentown on a flying school bus with her grandma Aggie. Didn’t we all want a grandma Aggie? Her bag full of endless toys was probably the coolest thing I had ever seen. Marnie’s broom that she learns to fly on was also something I always wanted to do. Basically, I just wanted to be Marnie and I wanted to go to Halloweentown and help save everyone from the evil Kalabar. The skeleton cab driver Bones definitely freaked me out a little bit, but he was also such a loveable character! This classic is a MUST watch this year on Halloween. There were of course sequels made, but the original Halloweentown is the best one.

Casper Meets Wendy

Again, one of my favorites (okay, I guess I’m a sucker for a good Halloween movie from my childhood). In Casper Meets Wendy, we see little Hilary Duff in her first movie as the coolest witch ever with the ultimate best friend, Casper, the friendly ghost. Casper and Wendy team up to take down an evil warlock. This movie always made me want to be able to have magical powers and the ability to change something with the twist of my finger.

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com