Article Graphic. Made With Canva
Article Graphic. Made With Canva
Design by Lani Beaudette / Canva
Wellness > Health

Celsius Energy Drinks Investigation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Celsius Energy drinks are everywhere. They were heavily advertised on Instagram this summer and this fall they are seen in the hands of many college students. It is understandable why. The look is clean and sleek with pictures of fruit front and center making them seem fresh and healthy. But what are in them exactly and are they actually tasty? 

The company claims that their drinks contain guarana seed, green tea leaf, and ginger root and that this combination boosts your body’s metabolic rate. There is even evidence that ginger, green tea leaf, and guarana seed actually work to boost metabolism supporting their claims. Celsius boasts that it is zero sugar, zero preservatives, and contains essential vitamins (including C and B). The drink is compatible with many different diets as it is gluten-free, vegan, kosher, and non-GMO.  

However, the picture of health that is painted should be looked at with caution. Celsius needs to be consumed in moderation. There is a lot of caffeine in Celsius — 200 mg! This is half the daily recommended amount for adults. That does not include caffeine from coffee, soda, tea, food, and other sources you might encounter during the day. Caffeine in high amounts can cause feelings of anxiety, jitteriness, headache, insomnia, and irritability. Also, Celsius contains sucralose, an artificial sweetener that might be addictive and increases inflammation in your body. To be clear though, as long as users are being smart and drinking appropriate amounts they should be okay. 

Another thing you should be aware of before deciding to buy a drink is that this is not Celsius’ first time on the market. Celsius was first introduced in the early 2000s and then abruptly pulled from the market due to backlash. It was marketed as a dietary weight loss drink at that time. The formula used to make it then is the same formula used today. Before buying this brand, think about the culture of weight loss and dieting that they tried to profit off. It is nice to see that they were receptive to public input and switched the brand to be more health and fitness-centered. However, it is questionable that this shift was only made due to backlash and wasn’t the company’s original intention. 

Finally, the big question is: Does it taste good? Amazon reviews seem to be positive. Many say they are tasty, have good carbonation, and are not too strong. Some users warn that it can make them jittery if they drink it too fast and that it has a strong ginger flavor. Reviews all say that Kiwi Guava is the best but all flavors have at least 4 stars. 

Will you be trying Celsius drinks? If you want to buy some, try your local convenience store, Amazon, or the official website and let me know what you think!

Hi, I'm Kendall Garnett and I am a senior Biology and Spanish major at Bucknell University. I am also one of two Campus Correspondents/Chapter leaders for HerCampus Bucknell. When I am not busy researching the next big pandemic I like to write culture and entertainment pieces.