Catching Up on Current Events: What’s Happening in Russia and Ukraine?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

The Dow dropped 200 points in one day. Violent protests are taking over the news. Rumors are spreading about the onset of World War III. Keeping up with political affairs can be quite difficult for collegiettes juggling classes, on-campus jobs, extracurricular activities, and internship searches along with vibrant social lives. Her Campus Bucknell is here to explain what really is going on in Russia and Ukraine, and more importantly, why we should care.

Why did the crisis begin?

In November 2013, the Ukrainian government publicly announced its plans to abandon an agreement that would strengthen ties to the European Union. President Viktor Yanukovych made it clear that Ukraine sought to strengthen its ties with Moscow.

What exactly happened?

Protestors were displeased with Yanukovych’s plans to strengthen ties with Russia. In February 2014, protestors turned to violence, as they lost confidence in Yanukovych and his government who were unwilling to compromise. As a result, protestors, armed with axes, knives, truncheons, and corrugated iron shields, rioted in the streets in the center of the Ukrainian capital. Still unwilling to negotiate, Yanukovych implemented severe new anti-protest laws, jailed protesters, and tortured and harassed activists. The conflict over Ukraine’s future intensified on Thursday, February 20, as protestors clashed with riot police and Independence Square literally became a battlefield. Dozens of people were killed and hundreds were murdered on what has been called “the bloodiest day in modern Ukrainian history.” 

What was the result of the crisis?

On February 21, President Yanukovych signed a compromise with opposition leaders. On February 22, government troops under Yanukovych’s control attacked protesters in downtown Kiev. Approximately 80 protesters were killed in the attack. After the violence, Yanukovych fled to Russia. Ukraine’s Parliament quickly voted to replace him with interim president Oleksandr Turchinov. While Turchinov’s government issued a warrant for Yanukovych’s arrest, Yanukovych is still in Russia and claims that he is the legitimate president of Ukraine.

Wait…where does Crimea come into play?

First things first, Crimea is a region of southern Ukraine located on a peninsula on the north shore of the Black Sea. Russia annexed Crimea in 1783 and controlled the region for almost two centuries until Moscow transferred Crimea to Ukraine in 1954. Crimea is an autonomous republic in the sense that it has its own parliament, but the region is technically under the federal Ukraine constitution. While Crimea was given certain rights, it was not granted the right to secede. 

Going back to the conflict, violence broke out in Crimea after Yanukovych was ousted. Troops, assumed to be Russian soldiers, took over the parliament building and cut off Crimea from the rest of Ukraine. Elected officials, ordered to leave at gunpoint, were replaced with pro-Moscow politicians. Backed by Russian President Vladimir Putin, the new government proposed a referendum to secede from Ukraine. Putin hoped to prevent Ukrainian efforts from strengthening ties to Europe. Calling the dissolution of the Society dictatorship “the greatest calamity of the 20th century,” Putin believed that Ukraine and other nations should return to Russian control.

On March 16, the self-appointed government held the official referendum on whether Crimea should join Russia or become an independent state. While approximately 96 percent of voters showed support for joining the Russian Federation, the referendum was very controversial. The referendum was inconsistent with the Ukrainian Constitution, which requires a vote by all Ukrainians – not just those living in Crimea.

Why You Should Care

As you probably guessed, the conflict between Russia and Ukraine is becoming a global affair. On March 27, the U.N. General Assembly passed a non-binding resolution declaring the referendum illegal. The United States Senate and House of Representatives additionally passed a bill providing $1 billion in loan guarantees to stabilize Ukraine’s economy. The United States and many European countries have also threatened to impose further economic measures against Russia if the situation in Ukraine deteriorates.

So, are we on the verge of World War III? Probably not. However, the ongoing Crimean crisis is an extremely important event for collegiettes to follow. When the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991, 11 Soviet republics, including Ukraine, were freed to become independent democracies. If Russia annexes Crimea, many fear that Putin’s government will exert force on other nations, leading to war.

Read More Around the Web:

·      “10 Signs We Are Headed into World War III” By Andrew Handley

·      “A Quick Guide: What’s Happening in Ukraine

·      “Ukraine’s Crimea Raises Tension by Setting Secession Vote” by Lukas I. Alpert

·      “Ukraine Region Votes to Join Russia” by Anton Troianovski

·      “U.N. General Assembly declares Crimea secession vote invalid” by Louis Charbonneau and Mirjam Donath

·      “U.N. General Assembly Votes Against Crimean Referendum” by Joe Lauria

·       “What’s happening in Ukraine and Crimea? Newsround Guide

·      “What’s going on in Ukraine?” by Michael Pearson

Loren Jablon is an Accounting and Financial Management major at Bucknell University from Hewlett, New York. She LOVES Her Campus (she's been reading the national site since its launch!) and could not be more excited to be a copy editor of Bucknell's page. Aside from Her Campus, Loren is the President of Bucknell Student Government, a member of the school's Alumni Board of Directors, and spends her summer interning on Wall Street.