Campus Celeb: Jen Lassen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Meet our very own, Jen Lassen! Jen is very involved on campus. As a member of our Her Campus team, Jen is also the Editor-in-Chief for The Bucknellian. Recently, Jen was also elected the Concert Committee Chair for next year. Learn more about Jen! 

1. As a member of Her Campus and the EIC for The Bucknellian, when did your love of writing and journalism begin?

I’ve always loved to write ever since I was a little girl. I’ve kept journals for as long as I can remember, and English was my favorite subject growing up. During my senior year of high school, I decided to take a journalism class with encouragement from one of my favorite English teachers. In that class, I worked as an editor on our high school newspaper and fell in love with journalism as a way to tell other people’s unique stories.

2. How did you become involved in The Bucknellian

From my experience with journalism in high school, I signed up right away for The Bucknellian at the activities fair during Orientation! Immediately, I started covering campus events, news stories, etc. and soon after joined the newspaper staff as Assistant News Editor. Since then, I’ve served as the (then) Arts & Life Editor, News Editor, Director of PR, and have just concluded my term as Editor-in-chief.

3. How is The Bucknellian different from other organizations on campus? 

We are the only weekly student print publication on campus! Each week, we’re covering events and stories; writing articles and features; designing a print issue; dealing with deadlines; and working our hardest to produce a product. Also, we are an entirely student-run publication and “business.” We make all decisions about content, photos, graphics, advertising placements, subscriptions, and much more on our own.

4. What can we expect next from The Bucknellian? Also, as newly selected CC Chair, what can we expect from the concert next year? 

Next year, everyone can expect The Bucknellian to take more advantage of our new website, bucknellian.net, and have a stronger/more frequent social media presence. Also, we have many talented graphic designers on our staff, so we want to incorporate more graphics into our weekly print paper and online. Although I’m not sure what could top this year’s concert, I’m hoping that next year’s show will reflect who the students want to see and what music they want to hear.

5. Do you hope to pursue a career in journalism? 

Great question! I’m really interested in media production, whether for a print publication, for film, or for television. Interning at ABC in Philadelphia has helped me engage with my creative side in that sense. Right now, I am mainly interested in production and PR, but I’m definitely not ruling out journalism as a career. However, I want to continue writing. Whether it’s more journalistic writing to tell stories, or whether it’s more creative writing for online blogs, publications, etc., writing is my passion; I don’t ever want to give that up. 

Favorite…

Spot on Campus: Willard Smith Library in the Vaughan Literature Building

Class at Bucknell: Professor Willoughby’s Hitchcock film seminar

Thing about Bucknell: So difficult to choose just one! Mainly, the community here is what I love most: academically and socially, I always feel supported.

Freez flavor: Cookie dough with pretzels and hot fudge…my go-to.

4 fun facts: 

1. I’ve played the piano since I was 5 years old. 
  2. I’m in love with New England and hope to move there when I get older. 
  3. I listen to classical music or film scores while I write or do my homework. 
  4. I love running outside but dislike going to the gym.