Boston Strong: America’s Comeback

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

April 21, 2014 will be a historically legendary day for the people of Massachusetts, Boston residents, runners, and Americans at large. This date marks the 118th edition of the Boston Marathon, an event that is now dear to our hearts. It is hard to forget what happened just a year ago on April 15, 2013 when two consecutive bombs exploded near the finish line, killing three spectators and injuring 264 others. It was a moment of shock and devastation as many of us questioned how this could happen in our great nation.

I remember hearing and seeing news updates flooded with alerts about Boston, the great city my brother lives in. At the time, he was a senior at Boston College, with friends who ran in the race and friends who cheered from the sidelines. My heart dropped as I anxiously awaited a reply to my text message asking, “Are you alright?” I was fortunate enough to get a reply telling me that my brother was safe and unharmed. However, not everyone was that fortunate. The events that happened that day were truly tragic and appalling. One of the men who set the bombs off, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, was sorely mistaken in targeting Boston or the US in general. He was sentenced to death in early February, and I am sure his stay in prison before awaiting death row will be uncomfortable to say the least. It is easy to look upon that day with grave sadness and horror, but many victims and Boston runners turn their attention to the present, and intend to run the race this year with more zest and pride than ever.

JJ Miller, a commercial photographer and director created a short video called, “#WEWILLRUN” which features runners from all over the world, returning to finish the race that was cut short last year. Miller closes his dedicational text with inspirational words that have resonated with Americans worldwide. “This short video is dedicated to the great city of Boston and its people…they messed with the wrong city. We choose to be Boston Strong and we will run.”

As the amount of patriotism and pride goes up at this year’s race, so does the stress and demand for increased security. More than 3,500 police officers will be patrolling this year’s marathon, which is double the number of officers deployed last year. Spectators who are coming to watch the marathon are being discouraged from bringing any backpacks, rolling bags, coolers, and other large inconspicuous items. Instead, the police are asking people to bring their personal items in clear plastic bags, and those who do not will be subject to searches. Authorities’ goal is to strike a balance between keeping the traditional feel to the marathon and tightening security at the same time in response to last year’s events.

The horrible attacks of last year caused us to grieve together and created patriotism out of an act of hate. I am excited to watch the event on TV, and read about its great success after. I wish all the competitors the best of luck, as they run with light feet and heavy hearts for those lost at last year’s finish line. The horrifying acts by the Tsarnaev brothers were intended to tear us down as a nation, make us feel helpless, and make us broken. They did not realize that America cannot be torn down by terrorists and heartless acts. America cannot break or be helpless as our citizens unite in the face of adversity. I look forward to seeing the people of Boston united, supporting the courageous runners. It’s time to show the world that America experienced a downfall last year, and April 21st will be our comeback. 

Gabby is a sophomore political science and women and gender studies double major at Bucknell University. She was born and raised on Long Island, NY with the hopes of owning her own law firm in NYC one day. Gabby has always had a special eye for issues concerning women today, and hopes to convey that passion through her writing. Gabby is extremely politically active and enjoys watching/reading the news, engaging in friendly debate, and making fun of Sarah Palin as much as possible.