Mercer Bookstore entrance
Mercer Bookstore entrance
Original photo by Priyal Maheshwari

Blockbuster On My Bookshelf: If you loved the movie, read the book!!!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

It used to be the case that fans of book series would excitedly wait in line at the movie theater to see the premiere of the film adaptation of their favorite novel. But now it seems like Hollywood is so quickly producing film and television based on books, that people are focused on watching and forgetting about reading—most may not even realize that their current Netflix binge was inspired by equally enthralling writing first! It makes sense why screen adaptations of novels are so popular: they have some of the most exciting plotlines, thrilling twists, compelling characters, and emotional densities. For those exact reasons, fans of film adaptations shouldn’t skip out on the experience of reading the original novels. Here is a list of must-reads turned popular movies to get you started!
dRvsl0sb1 CIZE hyHAmfvvt SSHrU4eBxHQ26ttPl3PuPE6S0 GRlVnKzDYrrnVUCJ fz YfrksfenVEWswU0fJqwE8Grt7JFAOuP acapvyi EXBIzoVYKjP8dLjVDXMUXW3=s0

Normal People 

The fairly recent Hulu original has received plenty of raving reviews for its raw emotional intimacy and compelling normalcy, but viewers shouldn’t skip on reading the show’s inspiration: Sally Rooney’s Normal People. While the television adaptation offers intriguing Irish accents, Rooney’s novel creates a simultaneously fast-paced and emotionally nuanced telling of friendship, love, and simple personhood with a touch of relatability for her audience. She captures the thrill of the mundane in a way that draws readers in and doesn’t let them go until the final line. If you felt yourself melting into the romantic average-ness of Connell and Marianne’s story on screen, you’ll swoon over the book. 

9GWWSj3cbIhyyjcHklyKoM iEsxsFJQOyC0qpWflAAqm7Uab3yvOkKWKzGKz0ZhvvmC zFW1Yo9FZkpgrBx9ku67odUtK9zuVK6SYkqEbWhRc x1ldw UoXLorVGeMuRCKp 7Jez=s0

Bridgerton

The combination of elaborate period drama costuming and a stunningly handsome Regé-Jean Page stole the hearts of Netflix viewers after the release of Bridgerton last winter. Fans of the show might not realize, though, that Julia Quinn’s series of novels by the same name were the foundation for the series. If you thought the scenes on screen were steamy and perfectly overdramatic, you’ll be delighted to discover that Quinn’s writing is just as salacious on the page!
FfKWEzRz7JCp8PYrjQaeSmLjnKX 3babqVxzsvGRigfTK9jorerB2ZzKVzwkDwUWJfr0in2WG4

Call Me By Your Name

It’s no secret that Luca Guadagnino’s screen adaptation of André Aciman’s 2007 novel is a work of art. Heart-wrenchingly intimate moments between slow-burning characters against the backdrop of stunning rural Italy create a dazzling experience for viewers. But if fans of the movie (or Timothée Chalamet) neglect the original written story, they’re missing the intensity of the emotional intimacy created between Elio and the reader. Aciman’s almost uncomfortably raw writing gives the reader complete insight into the depths of the character’s introspection— his understanding of worth, sexuality, and love— that simply cannot be recreated equally on screen. 

9D68p8f0dwnYpYpdnSfXbvgnT2rvQZvOGAPCAy7KQvVYTuPlUmDhsCnzmaYjFbTr6a2uJ2XVaTU4jK0OhSN8haE7WNjUUIVC oIkn8hCL 9SoIu7x quzmk0m0d 1 L05XjZkdgI=s0

Game of Thrones

HBO has had practically everyone imagining their house sigil and dreaming of emerging from a fiery blaze fully empowered for world domination (with a litter of dragon children, of course). The action and fantasy of GOT on screen is both addictive and exhilarating — but so are George R.R. Martin’s novels! These books are thick, but absolutely worth the time spent delving into the world that Martin creates with extreme detail and precision. For many (read: all) viewers of the TV show, the series finale came way too quickly, but the books offer subtle and major plot differences, added details, and increased immersion compared to the HBO version, which means more GOT content to feed your obsession. Martin hasn’t finished writing the series yet and has disclosed that many storylines from the show will end differently in the future books — even more Targaryen and Stark content to look forward to!

Little Women

Featuring a star-studded cast including Laura Dern, Meryl Streep, Emma Watson, Saoirse Ronan, and Timothée Chalamet, the 2019 film version of Little Women absolutely destroyed box offices and captivated viewers with its quirky moments and loving story. Louisa May Alcott’s Little Women is a classic that everyone should take the time to read, especially if you fell in love with her characters’ on-screen portrayal. For nineteenth century literature, the novel is actually very accessible to the modern reader and offers beautiful descriptions that capture the whimsical and unconditional essence of family, love, and coming-of-age. Don’t let a tiny bit of antique language intimidate you from experiencing this completely lovely read!

xQyVz4dulFuBI9DTXa xtmtwqlNzABqllI07TDXJMkWU46L8oweGao4gRQa12B jwReC8sgsEy0nM0JJ3X96RJpGgTpQ31Uh guzIfBqMuL7W55GFtyUeTggAV7G0WnyD4CPqvIL=s0

Crazy Rich Asians
The way that this blockbuster was able to visually represent the obscene wealth of “crazy rich Asians,” definitely packed more of a punch than simply reading descriptions of such luxury on a page. The novel transitioned fabulously into its film form, and its popularity is no surprise. While the movie is certainly worth a viewing, that doesn’t mean that fans should neglect Kevin Kwan’s series of novels, the first of which shares the title Crazy Rich Asians. Kwan’s books offer a subtlety and nuance to the massive wealth exposed in the on-screen version; the reader gets a more revealing invitation into the characters and their relationships with each other, themselves, and their money. This one is definitely worth reading to find more depth of character and experience, beyond what the movie covers.

Emma Stone

Bucknell '22

Emma is a Senior from Connecticut studying Political Science with a minor in English Literature and Social Justice.