This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Who else is sick of the treadmill line and grind at the gym everyday? Not only is the wait a pain, but it’s easy to fall into the rut of losing focus. So if you’re over waiting the 15 minutes to run in place for 30, try outdoor running before it gets too cold! Running outside works more of your muscles than just running on the treadmill. Plus, changing up your daily routine will pump you up for your next sweat sesh. Her Campus Bucknell decided to put together a couple of the best routes around Lewisburg to get you started:

The Downtown Route – 3.15 miles

This route is relatively flat and perfect for someone who’s just beginning the transition to running outdoors. Begin outside the gym and make your way towards 7th street. Continue down 7th until you see the baseball field and turn right onto St. Mary Street. Next, make a left onto 5th and continue to weave your way around the perimeter of downtown until you reach Water Street onto which you’ll make a right. Follow Water Street, crossing Market, and continue on the streets parallel to the river. This will eventually take you to the Gateways on Brown Street. Finish your run by running down Loomis, past Vedder and the LC, and you will end back at the gym.

The River Run – 4.05 miles

This run is slightly more challenging, as you’ll tackle a couple of long hills. Again starting at the gym, run down the road that takes you past the Gateways. Once you reach River Road, turn right and follow that road until your reach Route 15. Be SUPER careful! Take your time, look both ways, and cross Route 15 to Beagle Creek Road and follow that until you reach Handscrabble Lane. (There is a super steep hill here. I’m sorry.) Turn right onto Handscrabble, which will take you right to the golf course. Turn left onto Smoketown Road and continue on Smoketown until you reach the entrance to the Mods. Enter the Mods and make your way through the tunnel and back up to the gym.

The Golf Course Run – 4.97 miles

Another run with a few challenging hills, this course will take you around the Golf Course and past the Middle School. Start at the gym and make your way through the Mods. Turn right onto Smoketown and left up the hill at Handscrabble. At the top of the hill turn right onto Jonathan Road, which will border the Golf Course. You’ll then turn left onto Stein Lane, which will be a nice breather downhill. Just as you’ve caught your breath, you’re going to tackle a super steep hill after turning right onto Smoketown Road. At the top of the hill, enjoy the fast pace you’ll take continuing downhill on Smoketown. Follow Smoketown around the Middle School fields (this will turn into North Fairground Road) until you reach Washington Avenue onto which you’ll make a right. Keep on Washington, past the front of the Middle School, and turn left onto 18th Street which will land you on Market. Stay on those sidewalks, crossing Route 15, and make a right onto 7th Street. Soon enough you’ll be back to the gym.

The Scenic Route – 6.97 miles

This run is definitely for the beginner distance runner. If you’re training for a 10K or a half marathon, this is the route to start your long runs. Again, starting at the gym, run to Market Street. Stay on Market Street, which will take you over the bridge. At the traffic light, turn right onto Route 405. Run on the paths next to the road. Watch for cars and be careful, but this road is usually not as busy as it might seem at first. You’re going to run down this road for a LONG time. It’ll take you past a small neighborhood, a quaint seasonal restaurant, a farm stand, two farms, and a motorcycle campground. Once you reach the fork in the road that takes you over another bridge (currently under construction) or down Walter Road, feel free to turn around. Congrats! You’re halfway. Continue back the way you came and return to the gym, completing about a 7 mile run.

The Rail Trail – 2 miles – 20 miles

The Rail Trail is probably one of the best courses to run on in this area. It’s a 9-mile trail that the county created that runs parallel to Market Street. It’s flat, scenic, and only partly paved which is great for those of us who suffer from shin splints. To get to it (about a mile out), run down 7th Street and turn left onto Market. Follow Market over Route 15, until you make a right onto 13th Street, which will take you to the beginning of the trail where there are bathrooms, parking spots, and informational signs about the trail. The great part about this run is that you can run to the beginning of the trail and turn around heading back to the gym. You’ll run about 2 miles. Or, you can continue to run on the trail, tracking your distance by the half-mile markers they have posted along the trail, and you’ll know exactly how far you’ve run. Just make sure you have it in you to make it back to campus! This route is especially great for those of you who are training for a half or full marathon. You can clock all of those miles without getting lost and you won’t have to worry about any cars.

General Tips to keep in mind while running outside:

Rules of the Road: Always run on the sidewalk when possible. When you have to run in the road, however, run on the opposite side of traffic. This way, you can see cars coming towards you and cars can easily see you. If there is a path on the side of the road, and there usually is, definitely take it to avoid cars.

When to Run: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not run in the dark. First of all, it’s not safe. It’s difficult for cars to see you, and if you’re alone, you never know who might approach you. Second of all, it will be cold and you will freeze. Aim to start your run after 7am or before 4:30pm. This way, you won’t risk the sun setting on you. If you are forced to complete your run before or after these times, make sure to run with a buddy with warm, bright, and reflective clothing. Otherwise, just take your run to the treadmill.

What to Wear: Dress appropriately. Wear bright colors so cars, bikes, and everyone else on the road can see you. If it’s cold, dress warmly. We recommend Nike’s selection for athletic gloves, hats, headbands, etc. Lululemon and Athleta also have great leggings, jackets, and socks for those who are willing to spend a little bit more. Target and Old Navy also have some steals for those who don’t want break the bank.

What to Bring: If you’re a person who gets bored easily with running, make sure to bring your phone or iPod so you can play some tunes. iPod shuffles are great for the hands-free option, but it’s safer to bring your phone with you in an armband, especially if you’re going on a longer run. You can purchase an armband at Dicks Sporting Goods or even Target and Walmart. Prepare a playlist that will keep you upbeat and motivated. If you’re training, try using the Nike Running+ app. It will track your miles and your average pace.

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com