Best Books for Your College Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Finding time during the semester to sit down and lose yourself in a leisurely read is not only uncommon, but really really hard. If you’re anything like me, you might feel that the time you would spend reading The Time Traveler’s Wife would be better devoted to reading your Econ textbook in preparation for your next quiz. That being said, I think that fall, thanksgiving, winter and spring break are all fantastic opportunities to take advantage of free time. I recommend picking out one of the following books to indulge in during your next break!

Wild:From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed

This is currently my favorite book. It’s the definition of a page-turner and the plot makes it difficult to believe that it is a true story. Cheryl, the protagonist, endures several hardships and discovers that the only way to find herself is to lose herself first. In her twenties, she sets out to hike the daunting Pacific Crest Trail and encounters danger and solace. Still not enticed to read this one? It’s going to be made into a movie starring Reese Witherspoon this December and Oprah loves the book.

Freakonomics and Superfreakonomics by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner

Both of these books explore economic and non-economic concepts that make us question our simplifying heuristics. The authors come together to make us deny our previous assumptions and explore other relationships between variables. For example, the authors answer questions like, “Which is actually more dangerous, a gun or a swimming pool? What do school teachers and sumo wrestlers have in common? Why should suicide bombers buy life insurance?” I think both books are essential for a better understanding of the difference between relationship and causation. You definitely don’t need an interest in economics to read this book, but rather a curiosity about what relationships exist between two seemingly distant variables. I also recommend watching the Freakonomics documentary as a follow up!

The Happiness Project Gretchen Rubin

I’ve only just started this book, but I think it should definitely be on any collegeitte’s list. Author Gretchen Rubin describes her pursuit of happiness as she embraces a new set of resolutions for each month: give proofs of love, ask for help, find more fun, keep a gratitude notebook, forget about results. She immersed herself in principles set forth by all manner of experts, from Epicurus to Thoreau to Oprah to Martin Seligman to the Dalai Lama to see what worked for her—and what didn’t. (Goodreads.com summary). The book follows a format similar to Julie and Julia or Eat, Pray, Love.

Those are my top three, but for a list of other books you should check out the following links:http://www.mavenofsavin.com/100-books-read-lifetime/http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/tip-sheet/article/63722-10-books-you-should-read-before-graduating-college.htmlhttp://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/25-essential-books-that-every-college-student-should-read.html

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com