Beat the Winter Blues: Best Classic Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

February has just begun, and the cheerfulness of the holiday season has ended. We all feel the work and stress of our classes piling up, and we cringe each morning at the sight of the new fallen snow on the ground from the night before. We wake up to look at the weather on our phones, only to die a little inside when we see that it’s “20 degrees, feels like 10.” Some cures to the winter blues include a good workout at the gym or some much needed retail therapy. However, this cure requires staying under comfy covers and curling up to your Netflix queue. Gather your friends who are in this similar funk and watch these classic chick flicks that will be sure to distract you from your weary wintery mood. 

Pretty Woman

If you have never seen “Pretty Woman,” then stop what you’re doing and reevaluate your life. This movie is the quintessential chick flick. While it’s not quite how every woman wants to see her life play out, a prostitute in Hollywood being picked up by a wealthy businessman; who wouldn’t want Richard Gere to drive up in his limo and climbing up their fire escape with roses in hand?  It’s a Cinderella story that not only has you envious of Julia Robert’s newfound love, but also of her newest purchases on Rodeo Drive. If you don’t watch this movie, you’re making a “Big mistake! Big! Huge!”    

Breakfast at Tiffany’s

An Audrey Hepburn classic always makes the list for best chick-flicks. The fashion in this movie is what makes it iconic.  Whenever a girl thinks of Audrey Hepburn, she immediately thinks of the classic first scene where we’re introduced to Holly Golightly in front of Tiffany’s on Fifth Ave., wearing a Givenchy LBD, oversized sunglasses, a tiara and pearls. Coco Chanel may have invented the LBD, but Hepburn made it a must-have for every girl’s closet. While Holly Golightly’s style is a reason in itself to watch the movie, the complicated romance between Holly and Paul Varjak is what makes this a true chick-flick every girl needs to see. I mean; can you really go wrong with a kiss in the rain? I think not. 

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

This classic makes any girl’s gloomy day a little brighter. Not only do you get to witness the chemistry of Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson unfold onscreen, you also get to drool over their overwhelming (and unfair) attractiveness. How can you not want to be Kate Hudson after seeing her in that yellow dress? Also, anyone who’s failing in the love department can really take notes on exactly what NOT to do in a relationship by watching this movie. Love ferns and making scrapbooks of your future family together are a definite DON’T, ladies. 

Bridesmaids

Quite possibly the number one movie that I will never get sick of.  Think Kristen Wiig as Target Lady or Gilly….but 10 times funnier. You don’t understand cinematic brilliance until you have seen this movie. How can one go wrong with Melissa McCarthy and Rebel Wilson handing out classic one-liners about Mexican drinking worms and Air Marshall John? And you can’t argue against an ending that has Wilson Phillips performing “Hold On” and Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph throwing down some killer dance moves. Perfection. I could watch this movie over and over, and cry of laughter each time. God bless you, Judd Apatow.

So, start making your popcorn, put on your sweats and get ready to stay in your bed for hours. Hopefully these classic rom-coms can distract you from the freezing weather and get you out of your winter funk!       

Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!