Aspire News App: It Could Save Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

With Bucknell’s perfectly cut green grass, beautiful red brick buildings, and well-dressed, in-shape, healthy, and determined student body, campus mirrors more of a utopian society than an institution of higher learning. Many Bucknellians feel safe enough on campus to leave their laptops unattended in the library for hours and to leave their dorm room unlocked at all times. However, below this surface-level image of Bucknell, our school faces the same challenges as other universities such as racism, lack of intellectual engagement outside of the classroom, and sexual assault, among many others.

Campus safety concerns all students and one of the most unsettling dangers young adults must face is the risk of sexual assault. According to the National College Health assessment (NCHA) last administered in Spring 2011, Bucknell students had experienced sexual touching without consent, attempted sexual penetration without consent, sexual penetration without consent, and sexually abusive intimate relationships. The graph below shows how sexual violence at Bucknell compares to other private schools nationally and in the Northeast. The graph represents the experiences of approximately 492 Bucknell undergraduate first year, sophomore, junior, and senior female students in the 12 months prior to the survey. 

Unfortunately, the Bucknell bubble is ridden with just as many problems as other institutions. However, thanks to committed domestic abuse activist Robin McGraw—and wife of Dr. Phil—you may be able to feel even safer on campus. McGraw has launched a new smartphone app called Aspire News through her foundation When Georgia Smiled, which aims to help people in abusive relationships. The mission of her foundation is to “create and advance programs that helps victims of domestic violence and sexual assault live healthy, safe and joy-filled lives.”

The free app acts as a standard news round-up offering summaries of top stories in world, sports, and entertainment news—but the app also has a ‘Get Help’ section filled with resources for victims of domestic violence, phone numbers for shelters, and help hotlines.

Additionally, the app can be set up to secretly alert the user’s “trusted contacts” (a list of people who will be alerted if you ever send out a distress signal from the app) in an emergency situation simply by tapping the top of the screen three times. The user can add as many trusted contacts as he or she would like. Users can also set up a pre-recorded audio message or a pre-typed message that will send to those trusted contacts, along with an exact location in a time of distress. On his show, Dr. Phil urged, “Before you’re in crisis, let people know to watch for this message and that it’s coming.” Alternatively, the audio message can be sent directly to 911 if a person has no trusted contacts. However, the creators of the app advocate that the app does not serve as a replacement for emergency services—in any situation where you feel that you may be at risk, dial 911 or your local emergency number.

Sadly, domestic abuse is more common at Bucknell than it may seem and it is entirely within students’ power and right to get out safely. If you’ve identified that your partner exhibits controlling or aggressive behavior and you are too afraid to discuss these issues safely within your relationship, please get help. Victims often realize the dangers of their situation after an attack; however, it’s important to note that it is never too late to seek help.

Below, you’ll find a link to the Bucknell Advocates contact information. The Advocates are trained members of the campus community focused on providing confidential information and support for students regarding the medical, academic, and legal options or needs they may have following an assault 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

https://www.bucknell.edu/SexualMisconductAdvocates

Resources:

http://www.bestcolleges.com/resources/preventing-sexual-assault/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2512069/The-undercover-help-Simple-SOS-app-looks-like-news-site-allows-people-abusive-relationships-seek-aid-secretly.html#ixzz3XIaogDXP

http://www.bucknell.edu/current-student-resources/sexual-misconduct/speak-up-bucknell-peer-education/facts-and-statistics.html

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com