Anxiety: When is Enough Really Enough?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

The college years are the best years, right? Even though we hear that sentiment repeatedly, we often find ourselves overwhelmed with worry, nerves, and negative thoughts. In one study, 91% of college females reported feeling overwhelmed by all that they had to do on a day-to-day basis and 55% reported feeing intense anxiety. Anxiety is normal, and in some ways, a healthy response to helping us get out of harmful situations and preparing for important life events. That being said, when anxious feelings are acting as a debilitating force in your daily life, there are ways to stand up, say enough is enough, and take control of your feelings. 

How much “worrying” is normal?

Every day anxiety and anxiety disorders are characterized by many of the same characteristics, but there is a difference that’s important to recognize. Worrying about your future life plans, relationships, and important presentations or performances, as well as feeling embarrassed in social situations occasionally, or having realistic fears of dangerous situations are all completely normal feelings. On the other hand, when things such as constant worry, irrational fears, avoidance of social situations, and out-of-the-blue panic attacks start to interfere with your lifestyle, this is usually an indicator of a more serious issue. Anxiety disorders are usually biologically based, and often run in a family’s medical history. In addition to brain chemistry, personality, and genetic factors, important life events (such as the transition from high school to college and the responsibilities that come with living away from home) can also contribute to the onset of anxiety in a person.

Is this a common issue for collegiettes?

Anxiety disorders are one of the most prevalent mental health disorders on college campuses. Seventy-five percent of people with anxiety disorders experience their first “episode” before age 22 and more than 25% of college students have been treated by professionals following a mental health diagnosis. Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) affects 6.8 million adults, with women being twice as likely as men to be affected. People are usually diagnosed with GAD after worrying excessively about everyday concerns for at least six months. Accompanying symptoms include fatigue, muscle tension, irritability and trouble sleeping, relaxing, and concentrating.

How to deal with anxiety disorders

Treatment for severe anxiety disorders is highly successful and usually includes a combination of medication, such as SSRIS and psychotherapy, in which a counselor helps a patient focus on changing patterns that support their fears and provoke anxiety. That being said, only one-third of people affected seek out the help they need. This lack of resource utilization is mostly due to the stigma surrounding mental health issues.  It’s not someone’s fault for feeling anxious and it’s often a lot more difficult than a simple, “stop worrying” or “it’s okay” can solve. Overcoming anxiety takes time and lots of patience. Taking a step backwards every once and a while doesn’t mean you failed, it’s part of the process. As a friend of someone with anxiety, being open to discussing issues and offering a non-judgmental, listening ear makes it easier for those affected to feel accepted and seek support!

Getting back to the you that you know and love!

Whether you have an actual anxiety disorder or just need a way to get away from nerves, try some of these tips:

• In addition to exercising and eating well, cut back on your intake of stimulants such as energy drinks, alcohol, and caffeine.
  • Avoid anxious “self-talk,” or engaging in negative thoughts and preconceptions that get you worked up. Challenge yourself to stop playing the “what if” game by focusing on goal-directed thinking, testing the reality of your negative thoughts, and stepping back to put them in perspective.
  • Give yourself at least ten minutes at the beginning and end of each day to wind down and wake up. Creating this time to reflect at the end of the day and to set your mindset for the day ahead really makes a huge difference in the way you perceive things. 
  • Leave room for flexibility. Your Lilly agenda can be a lifesaver on busy days, but trying to plan your life down to the minute will only leave you frazzled and at odds with yourself when plans change. Don’t become a slave to your phone’s constant buzzing and the list of to-do’s that each day comes with, just do your best to stay organized without being too rigid in your routine.
  • Breathe! It sounds silly, but when you focus on allowing oxygen into your body, you’ll feel better all-around. Try a simple breathing exercise, like taking 6-10 breathes per minute. Focusing on your breath allows you to mentally slow down.
  • Accept all of your feelings, even the overwhelming ones. Try to understand where your worries are stemming from instead of shutting them down immediately. 
  • Take breaks. When it all seems to be too much to handle, remove yourself from a situation for a little while–and if you’re procrastinating writing that paper that’s getting you all worked up by watching “just one more” episode of your favorite show on Netflix, just enjoy the show and revisit the paper afterward. Spending your “break” time worrying about all you have to do makes it counterproductive! 
  • Put yourself out there. Sometimes when you’re stressed out to the max, it’s easy to withdrawal from social settings and just want to be alone, but often times just being around other people can make you feel more at ease. 
  • Don’t be afraid to talk about it. If you really feel like you can’t handle something alone, confide in a close friend or seek help from a more qualified professional–both friends and experts are helpful pieces in solving the anxiety puzzle that so many people are presented with. 

http://www.campuscalm.com/wome…
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health…

http://www.nami.org/Content/Na…
http://www.adaa.org/understand…
http://www.adaa.org/understand…
http://psychcentral.com/lib/ch…

Sara is a current sophomore double majoring in Psychology and English with a concentration in Creative Writing. Aside from serving as the Vice President of Administration and writing for Her Campus Bucknell, she is a tour guide, holds a position in her sorority, and serves as a peer counselor at a local elementary school. Sara is an avid fan of yoga, coffee, reading, spontaneous dance parties, and anything that involves rainbow sprinkles.
Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com