All I want for Christmas is a Job: Making the Most of Your Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

There is no better feeling than handing in your last final exam and heading home for winter break. Break is a time to unwind, catch up with friends, and spend time with your family. Although classes are on pause, there is no reason why the long break can’t be productive. It is the perfect time to continue your career development.

Here is a list of some ways to get ahead this winter break:

1.      Peruse the Career Development Center website, the Bridge and My Career Center window on your myBucknell dashboard to get familiar with the resources Bucknell has and upcoming opportunities 

2.      Update your resume and LinkedIn profile. Keep in mind the classes, projects, and extra curricular activities you’ve participated in over the semester. Reflect on your accomplishments and skills you’ve gained.

3.      Research and follow company pages and industry groups after updating your LinkedIn profile. You can join the Bucknell Alumni Group on LinkedIN https://www.linkedin.com/groups/77833. This is where alumni and students discuss and share industry resources, programs, events and Bucknell memories.

4.      Conduct informational interviews. These are conversations with professionals who will share their experiences, give advice, and provide guidance. You can learn more about the industry, pursue an internship, or job search. This takes time to prepare, research and find individuals to connect with. Holiday social events and the Bucknell Alumni network are perfect for this. Bucknell Alumni App and the Bucknell University page on LinkedIN provide the Alumni Directory. Additional information about Informational Interviews can be found on the Career Development Center’s website.

5.      Shadow a person at their job. This is possible through the Bucknell Externship Program. You can create your own job shadowing opportunity through requesting an informational interview and see where your conversation leads to.

6.      Shop for professional clothing because it will be good to return to campus prepared for future events and opportunities, such as interviews, employer visits, field trips, specifically Bucknell’s Internship & Job Fair (February 2), the Communications & Arts Fair in NYC (February 9) and the DC Career Fair (February 23). For inspiration, browse through the career development Pinterest page  https://www.pinterest.com/bucknellcareer/

7.      Research and apply for summer internships. For most applications you’ll be expected to submit a resume and a targeted cover letter. Cover letters should convey your interests in the specific position/ company, how you learned about the opportunity and what skills and experiences you can bring to the position.

8.      Stay organized through the process. As you research, network and begin to apply, make a calendar with future events and set goals for yourself. It would be helpful to track your networking interactions, follow up action steps and application deadlines.

We hope you have a very relaxing, yet productive break!!

Molly Farrell is a junior at Bucknell University majoring in creative writing and minoring in arts entrepreneurship. She enjoys long walks on the beach, netflix to continue playing, and her puns intended. Follow her on instagram: mfarrell34
What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.