Abercrombie: The Comeback Kid

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Let’s face it, your outfit for the first day of 7th grade was probably from Abercrombie & Fitch. The next few days, some of you would confidently show off any A&F logo tee with the shortest pair of denim shorts. Most of us would eventually break out our zip up hoodie with the fur on the hood (you know the one) and the striped sweaters that cut off the circulation in our arms (that wasn’t just me right?) If it had a moose on it, you owned it.

Middle school consisted of first kisses, periods, acne, and slipping on overpriced, generic Abercrombie clothes over your new Limited Too bra. Although you try your best to avoid thinking about your awkward stage, Abercrombie was your closest friend through it all. What else would you wear to your first boy-girl party besides a skin tight polo and denim miniskirt? Oh, and let’s not forget the incredible bond Abercrombie instilled between a mother and daughter. Nothing made you love her more than her screaming about the overwhelming scent of cologne or the dim lighting in the store. And you’re lying if you say you didn’t save the bag in your room for more days than you’d like to admit. Those six packs though.

We eventually grew up and made our way to high school. Abercrombie acted as the training wheels to stores like J. Crew. Yet, Abercrombie still managed to grow up right alongside our complicated lives. Controversy broke out regarding the CEO, Mike Jeffries, and his comments about specifically marketing to the “cool and popular kids”. The company also received criticism for refusing to sell clothes to larger women. Abercrombie stood as a reminder that even though we are out of middle school, the drama will always follow us.

We finally moved on to college. Most of us filling our closets with brands like J. Crew, Brandy Melville, Tobi, Madewell, Lululemon, Forever 21, etc. We rarely see an Abercrombie moose anymore. However, recent news claims that Abercrombie is set to make a comeback, especially with firing their CEO, promoting anti bullying campaigns, and retiring the shirtless boys (sorry ladies). Its maturing attitude will reflect in the new brand, appealing to college students worldwide. Their aim is to sell clothes similar to H&M and Forever 21 with much needed basics and cute trendy pieces. Prices have become much more reasonable to fit college student’s budgets. 

So what does all this mean? Current college students are the generation that made Abercrombie popular, while also throwing it to the way side. Now we have the chance to bring it back! The comeback will symbolize an innocent tween girl who got caught up in reputation and body image, and matured to realize how much better it is to be herself! So now it’s up to you- Abercrombie paved its way as a follower brand, will you be the leader of the comeback?

Molly Farrell is a junior at Bucknell University majoring in creative writing and minoring in arts entrepreneurship. She enjoys long walks on the beach, netflix to continue playing, and her puns intended. Follow her on instagram: mfarrell34
What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.