A Guide to Visiting the Lewisburg Farmers’ Market

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Coming from a hometown known for its farmers’ market, I was skeptical as to whether the local one could compare. Now, it takes a lot of convincing to get me to skip my weekly adventure. 

Aside from offering an enormous number of delicious and beautiful items, the farmers’ market  is a fascinating cultural experience that leaves attendees more than satisfied. Now is the time to try it out if you haven’t already—more and more vendors are moving back outside to take advantage of the warm weather.

I went this past week and made a list of my all time favorite stands.

To start, I am a sucker for keeping a few bundles of fresh fruit in my room. The best strawberries hands down come from Melon Man Produce. They offer samples to try for yourself if the vibrant color alone doesn’t sell you. Their oranges looked especially good this week, too, if that is more your thing. The prices are typically reasonable, but I am willing to pay a little more for quality produce versus spending money on fruit that never lasts more than a day.

There are plenty of coffee and breakfast shops, but I typically go around lunch and get a fabulous meal. Tomahawks offers two types of yummy tamales: one with red beans and chorizo gravy and another with a delicious squash sauce and turkey filling. Hoagies MTO (my roommate’s go-to) makes build-your-own sub style sandwiches. Lastly, The Chicken Shack sells barbecue meals that always hit the spot. There are plenty of hot food stands I have yet to try, so go for whatever catches your eye.

After your main meal, don’t forget to pick up something to satisfy your sweet tooth!

I’m pretty well-versed in this category. My top recommendation is the Cowgirl Cheesecakes’ assorted minis, which comes with three different flavors of the bite-sized treats. My personal favorite is the white chocolate raspberry, one of the classic varieties offered all year. You can now find several seasonal offerings, including strawberry, key lime, lemon, and blueberries & cream. I’m sure they are all delicious.

If I am not feeling a mini cheesecake, you’ll find me at Gable House Bakery buying a handful of macarons, the perfect mix of crunchy, chewy, and creamy! Again, I am a raspberry girl, but I tried their lavender flavor the other day and enjoyed it immensely.

If you are someone who likes snacking on sweet things throughout the week as opposed to having a singular pastry once in a while, you may want to purchase a bag or two of gummies, licorice, or chocolates from The Candy Shop.

Although I always save my appetite for the market, there is much more besides food. I have found several unique and affordable pieces of jewelry and clothing perfect for gifting or adding to your own collection.

As Hilly Springs Flower Farm was shutting down, I stopped to admire the adorable potted succulents they sell. If you are looking for some green to decorate your space with, that is 100% the stand for you. Because they were packing up, the person running the shop went above and beyond to give me a coupon for a free bouquet of flowers. I’ll probably use it during finals week to remember there is beauty, kindness, and mercy in the world!

Somehow, there’s still more! An entire section of the market is designated for personal sellers to bring garage sale items each week. I often fall in love with little treasures on those tables, and they always come with a backstory worth listening to.

That leads me to my final point—the opportunity that the Farmer’s Market gives Bucknell students to get off campus and interact with the surrounding community. I love sharing smiles with locals of all backgrounds and enjoying the beautiful sunshine while listening to live music. 

It is easy to forget just how closed off we are, and this year-round experience is absolutely worth an hour or two of your time. Maybe you will walk away with your favorite little delicacy, whether it be a gigantic whoopie pie, flavored pickles, the area’s signature soft pretzel sticks, or all of the above. 

So grab your sunglasses and a tote and explore all that the market has to offer! Hopefully, you’ll agree that there is something for everyone!

Grace Woodhouse

Bucknell '25

Grace is an intended Sociology and Theatre double major from upstate New York. Her two favorite things are Starbucks and sushi.