A Coming of Age: LACOS Gala 2023

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Quinceañeras are all about the coming of age; leaving behind childhood and transforming into a more mature self. This year’s themed LACOS Gala was a celebration of Latino culture and an embrace of identity and growth. The event educated guests on the history of the Quinceañera, which is a religious and social event that is practiced in Mexico, Latin America, the Caribbean, and Latino communities around the world. The gala highlighted many significant aspects of the celebration, which commemorates a girl’s passage from girlhood into womanhood. She is presented with a tiara, shoes, and a doll; these gifts encourage her to leave her childhood behind in order to take her first steps as an adult and as a princess in her family’s eyes.

It was impossible not to feel the joy radiating throughout the entire gala, and to appreciate all the work that made it possible. Massive white ribbons cascaded from the ceiling and the room was filled with flowers and a gorgeous cake marked “15,” the traditional age in which a girl would celebrate this milestone. There was no shortage of delicious food, including horchata, empañadas, and tres leches cake. The festivities included a performance by the Bisonettes, a traditional Guatemalan dance, and other dances performed by LACOS members. There was even a mariachi band which drove in from Reading, PA to serenade the audience. After the formal performances, LACOS members encouraged guests to take part in the celebration and join in on the dancing. Acting President of LACOS Ricky Osornio says the most rewarding part of organizing the gala was “seeing everyone so hype during the dances.” 

For the members of LACOS, this night was a coming together of months of hard work. It was a chance to honor last year’s board members and the students who will be leading their group into the coming academic year. It was also a chance to share their culture with an enthusiastic and accepting crowd. The diverse identities of the people in the audience were a testament to LACOS’ vibrant and supported presence on Bucknell’s campus. The LACOS Gala is just one example of the incredible events that POC groups on campus are organizing. Its resounding success is proof that there is so much room at Bucknell for more loving and accepting spaces to learn about and celebrate heritage. I’m so happy that the members of LACOS had the chance to see their effort transformed into such a beautiful event. After all the work they’d done,an afterparty was in order at Uptown. When I asked Ricky what he was most looking forward to for the rest of the night, he said “finally finishing!” The Quinceañera-themed LACOS gala showed how personal growth and self acceptance are fundamental to all of our lives, even after we turn 15. The loving community that LACOS has fostered on Bucknell’s campus is certainly a cause for celebration.

Susie Williams

Bucknell '23

Susie is a junior at Bucknell, majoring in Literary Studies and Russian. She believes in living fearlessly; well, almost fearlessly. Ceiling tiles and basketballs make her nervous. Susie plans to pursue a career in International Law.