7 Tips to Staying Hydrated This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Every morning, waking up to a temperature of zero degrees in Lewisburg is not a great motivator to go to class, get out of bed, or drink more water. Dehydration can occur during any season, particularly in winter when we do not readily recognize our bodies’ needs. During the colder weather, we are less likely to drink water because we do not feel as thirsty. Although you may feel fine, I can guarantee that your body disagrees. Here are a few ways to make sure that you keep your body fully hydrated this season.

1. Get in the habit

I know that it is cold outside so the thought of lugging around a cold, heavy water bottle may not really appeal to you. However, having a reusable water bottle handy will ensure that you always have a drink nearby. Get into the habit of carrying a bottle with you everywhere because it will remind you to drink and refill your water regularly. Plus, reusable water bottles come in tons of fun colors and unique designs!

2. Infuse your water

If the idea of downing countless glasses of water sounds unappealing, try something a little different. Infuse your water with fresh fruits or vegetables. Some of my favorites are lemon slices, berries, or cucumber slices. Adding these to your reusable water bottle can be a nice change of pace for your water consumption.

3. Mark your progress

When it comes to goals, it is much easier to know what you have left to accomplish when you can see it. Take a sharpie and mark your reusable water bottle with times throughout the day. This will show you how much water you should drink by a certain time, ensuring that you drink enough water daily.

4. Eat your fluids

Who doesn’t like a warm bowl of soup in winter? It is the perfect meal not only to warm up our insides, but also to give us some extra H2O. But be wary when you pick soups! Choose soups that are low in sodium, otherwise you are just filling up on extra salt that your body doesn’t need.

5.Fruits & Veggies

Another way to get some extra water into your system is by eating your favorite fruits and vegetables. These foods are packed with water but also make you feel full! Instead of just gulping down glasses of water, eating different produce will make you feel more satisfied and less dehydrated.

6. Morning Motivator

I know that waking up when it is still dark outside requires a morning jolt. Take a thermos filled with tea to your morning class. It will not only keep you warm on your walk across campus, but it will also keep you hydrated. There are a large variety of teas out there so test out a few to find your morning favorite.

7. Drink before every meal

If you make it a habit to drink a glass of water before every meal, you are not only getting more water into your day, but you will also feel fuller! Also, if you forget to drink water throughout the day, having a glass before mealtime ensures that you regularly get water into your system.

Extra Tips:

Your insides are not the only things that need to stay hydrated this season. Your skin and lips could also use a little extra help. Lately, you may have started to notice the dryness of your hands. The key is to moisturize. Make sure to apply lotion to your skin, especially your hands, to avoid small cuts on your knuckles. Try to keep a bottle of lotion in your bag so that you can prevent this skin irritation. Also, when the wind is whipping by your face everyday, it is no surprise that your lips get chapped. I keep tons of Chapsticks on hand, either in my room or in my bag to make sure that my lips don’t crack. Keeping lotion and Chapstick nearby will help your skin and lips make it through this freezing weather. Over the next few months, remember to take care of your body; this weather can be brutal so getting enough water and moisturizers is very important.

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com