5 Tips for Sleeping Better Tonight

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

It’s one of the most coveted, and yet least attained luxuries of college life: a good night’s sleep. Anyone who can remember the last time they woke up feeling refreshed and alert rather than like a gremlin emerging from a coma should really consider herself #blessed.

Why is sleep so hard to come by for college students? Certainly, we are busy people; if forced to choose between completing schoolwork, going out with friends, and sleeping, most of us are likely to sacrifice the latter. However, we may not realize how detrimental poor sleep is to other areas of our lives.

According to a Brown University study, the deep sleep that college students often compromise by pulling all-nighters or sleeping poorly is essential to retaining learned material. Pulling all-nighters may aid in short term retention, but it takes a good night’s sleep to allow this information to sink in.

Lack of sleep can also make you more prone to getting a cold, waking up to puffy eyes, and developing heart problems later in life. The bottom line is, when it comes to sleep, quality is more important than quantity. Sleeping soundly for six hours will be more beneficial than stirring for eight. Here are some tips to maximize that precious sleep time:

1.     De-stress. Having too much on your mind can lead to hours of insomnia. You may not be able to solve all of your day’s problems by the time you go to sleep, but you can at least get a grip on them. Try jotting down a list of what’s on your mind into a notebook before hitting the hay. It’ll take a mere five minutes of your night, as opposed to an indeterminate amount of time staring at the ceiling, trying to wind down.

2.     Avoid consuming caffeine or alcohol before bed. Although this is somewhat of a no-brainer, it is important to remember that that 6:00 p.m. cup of coffee in the library will likely overstay its welcome in your bloodstream. Some people claim that alcohol, a depressant, makes falling asleep easier. However, sleep attempted after consuming alcohol is typically restless, punctuated by mid-night awakenings.

3.     Put away your phone, computer, TV, and tablet. Gadgets like these emit a blue light that tricks the mind into thinking it’s daytime. It’s wise to power down at least 20 minutes before bed to give your eyes a chance to wind down. To really expedite the falling asleep process, try picking up a book or magazine to read before bed instead. Maybe grab a textbook if you really want to pass out quickly.

4.     Eat dinner earlier. Going to bed on a full stomach makes digestion uncomfortable and less efficient. Eating dinner several hours before bed – and not filling up on snacks in between – is a simple way to sleep better.

5.     Check your environment. Several factors, including bedroom temperature, lighting, sounds, and setup can alter the quality of your sleep. The ideal sleeping temperature falls between 60 and 67 degrees. No light, whether from a window, a clock, a TV, or otherwise, should be shining in the room. Ideally, a sleep environment is quiet, but utter silence can be difficult to attain when you may have a snoring roommate or rowdy neighbors. If noise is keeping you awake, consider investing in some earplugs. Finally, even the cleanliness of your room can affect your sleep. Having a cluttered living space can translate into a cluttered mind – one that is hard to shut off when necessary. Take a few moments before bed to straighten up loose papers or scattered laundry.

Sources: