4 Easy Recipes That are Hearty and Healthy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Winter is upon us, which means it is time to eat up in order to stay warm. However, instead of bulking up with warm grilled cheese and chocolate chip cookies, even though… YUM, here are 4 easy recipes that are hearty AND healthy that will help you get through the winter, happy and warm.

1. Bean Burrito Bowl

Who needs Chipotle? Not you! Now that you can make this healthier version of your favorite burrito bowl, you’ll never go back. With only three short steps, making your bean bowl will become a new staple in your diet, keeping you full and healthy. Full of vegetables and healthy carbs, you can add your own ingredients to make it more tasteful for you. To make your bean bowl the healthiest and heartiest it can be, make sure to use brown rice, tons of veggies, protein and low fat sour cream.

Directions and Ingredients

• In a small bowl whisk together 3 tbsp. of lime juice, 2 tbsp. of olive oil, ½ tsp. of ground cumin, and ½ tsp. Each of salt and pepper

• Divide 2 cups of cooked brown rice and 1 can of black beans into separate serving bowls. Top with lettuce, cilantro, tomatoes and avocado.

• Lastly, add your own spin and top it with chicken or steak, tortilla chips, hot sauce, low fat sour cream or whatever, healthy, food you desire.

2. Chickpea and Red Pepper Soup with Quinoa

Did someone say Quinoa? Quinoa is one of the healthiest and most filling grains that you could fill your body with. Similarly, chickpeas are full of fiber and are a great source of plant-based protein!

Directions and Ingredients

• Cook ½ cup of Quinoa (according to package)

• Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp of oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot. Add 1 medium onion, 1 carrot, and 2 stalks of celery and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 6 minutes.

• Add  3 cloves of garlic, 1 tbsp of paprika, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the peppers (1 yellow and 1 red) and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.

• Add 2 cans of low-sodium chickpeas, 2 cups of low-sodium vegetable broth, and 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and cooked quinoa. Serve topped with parsley, if desired.

3. Avocado Pasta

Do you love avocado? Do you love pasta? Well, now you can BOTH. Together. At the same time. Can you say dream come true? And the best part is, there is no butter or cream involved. Enjoy pasta that is HEALTHY and HEARTY with this avocado pasta recipe.

Directions and Instructions:

• In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook 12 oz. of pasta according to package instructions; drain well.

• To make the avocado sauce, combine 2 ripe avocados, ½ cup of basil, 2 cloves of garlic and lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor; season with salt and pepper, to taste. With the motor running, add ⅓ cup of olive oil in a slow stream until emulsified; set aside.

• In a large bowl, combine pasta, avocado sauce, cherry tomatoes and corn.

4. Asian Quinoa Meatballs

Back again with some amazing quinoa because it is just that healthy. These quinoa meatballs are packed with grain-based protein, making you feel light and full.

Directions and Instructions:

• Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly oil a 9×13 baking dish or coat with nonstick spray.

• In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, quinoa, garlic, onions, egg, soy sauce, sesame oil, Sriracha, salt and pepper, to taste. Using a wooden spoon or clean hands, stir until well combined. Roll the mixture into 1 1/4-to-1 1/2-inch meatballs, forming about 18-20 meatballs.

• Place meatballs onto the prepared baking dish and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until all sides are browned and meatballs are cooked through

• To make the sauce, whisk together soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, sugar, sesame oil, Sriracha and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan over medium high heat.

• In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water. Stir into soy sauce mixture until thickened, about 2 minutes.

Enjoy these easy healthy and hearty recipes!

Jenna Kline- PR/Event Intern/Sorority Representative Jenna is a sophomore majoring in Public Relations and minoring in business and leadership. She is the PR/Event Intern as well as the Alpha Epsilon Phi Sorority Representative for Her Campus UFL. She is very excited and enthusiastic about being involved with this organization as this is her first year working with Her Campus UFL. She is also a sister of Alpha Epsilon Phi, and she is involved with Student Government Productions. She loves to spend time with her family, play basketball, hang out with her sorority sisters, cheer on the Gators, and be a dedicated Miami Heat fan.