20 Ways To Stay Fit That You Can Actually Do…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

On New Years, everyone made resolutions about losing weight and working out. Now that we are all back to our daily routines, the question remains how to actually stick to those goals. Articles come out all the time telling you that the three tricks for weight loss are to eat no carbs, exercise twice a day, and to take some magic diet pills. Let’s be honest here; carbs are a must, no one has time to exercise twice a day and the magic pills just don’t work. Try some of these smaller, more reasonable ways to stay in shape that won’t interfere with your busy schedule.

1)  Use the stairs. This is over said, I know, but it really is true!

2)  Walk! We are on a college campus! Even in this freezing cold weather fight the urge to drive to class.

3)  In a time crunch? Bring your textbook to the gym. It is easy to read while riding the stationary bike.

4)  Watch a TV show on your iPhone or iPad while using the elliptical or even jogging on the treadmill. You’ll forget you are even working out!

5)  Try to stretch everyday if you can. The best time is the morning. Stretching after you get out of bed will help wake you up for class.

6)  Try Power Yoga or Party Zumba! There are all new types of fitness classes this semester that are fun!

7)  Need a study break? Try a dance party with friends. It will help you relieve stress and burn a few calories. Another great time to do this is before you go out on the weekends.

8)  Deep breaths actually help improve oxygen flow to the head and help with concentration. Use these for study sessions.

9)  Insanity is a new fitness DVD that people love. The best thing is you can do it without leaving your dorm! Get a couple friends together and do it in your common room or house!

10) WATER. Staying hydrated is a huge part of staying fit. Try to replace at least one soda or drink a day with a glass of water.

11) I recommend refraining from the caf goodies, but if you really must have dessert, treat yourself to the non-fat froyo option.

12) Eat wheat toast vs. white toast, a simple and easy way to keep healthy!

13) DON’T skip breakfast! Stock up on bananas and yogurt or things you can eat on the way to class.

14) Try to get at the very least 6 hours of sleep per night.

15) Wear a cute outfit to the gym! Feeling good is half the battle. If you look good then you will be more inclined to show yourself off at the gym.

16) Work out in groups … if your friends are all going to work out, then you will be more likely to go.

17) Stock your room with the “good kind” of munchies for late night—foods like veggies, almonds, yogurt and fruit. When you are hungry at 2 a.m., your only options are healthy options!

18) Try eating a green apple or put a pinch of cinnamon in your afternoon coffee. Both are proven to help keep your metabolism going faster.

19) Your dinner plate should be at least half full of colorful veggies. The brain tends to eat colored foods first, so you will fill up quickly on the things that are lowest in calories and highest in nutrients.

20) Honestly ladies, hot make outs can burn calories. So, don’t be afraid to have a little play time with your man!

Hopefully these tips will help you stay happy and healthy for 2013! Welcome back to campus!

Devin is a sophomore at Bucknell University. She is intending to be a Markets, Innovation and Design major in the School of Management, and is also pursuing a minor in Creative Writing. She can be found giving tours around campus, doing homework on the quad, or dancing in her apartment with her friends. Devin also writes for the HC Bucknell chapter, and loves all things Her Campus! Outside of school and HC, she enjoys playing sports, reading, singing, and trying new foods. In fact, her life motto is "eat dessert first." Devin is very excited to be the Management Intern at HC headquarters in Boston this summer!
Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!