Your New Girl Crush: Iggy Azalea

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

No, this is not some exotic plant your grandmother has planted and wants you to water while she’s on vacation; this is a female, Australian born rapper who has come to change your life. Originally from Sydney, Amethyst Amelia Kelly, better known by her stage name “Iggy Azalea,” first appeared on the music scene in 2011 with the release of her controversial but totally awesome music videos for “Pu$$y” and “Two Times.” Then her singles “Bounce” and “Change Your Life” released last fall continued to reiterate that this chick was a force to be reckoned with.

So why should you care about this BAMF? Myriad reasons. But first and foremost because her music is exactly what every college woman needs to be listening to: she embraces the idea of being an independent woman who waves to the haters, all the while leaving undeserving men in her wake. Not to mention her songs are dripping with bass that make you want to throw on a neon body suit and dance on a table (I won’t judge). For real, after listening to just one song last year, I was hooked. And thankfully, her latest album “The New Classic” drops later this month. So to prepare yourself, get familiar with her latest single “Fancy” ft. Charli XCX (listen to it here) which harks back to the “Clueless” glory days. 

But another reason Iggy should be on your Top 10 list is because she has worked with the Queen herself: BEYONCÉ. That’s right, Iggy toured with Beyoncé during the Australian leg of her “The Mrs. Carter Show World Tour” and if that doesn’t make her a fabulous individual, I don’t know what will. Iggy Azalea is unapologetically herself and to be honest, I just want to be her best friend. FYI: for all you Boston biddies out there, Iggy Azalea will be performing at the House of Blues on Wednesday, April 23. I’ll be the one wearing a neon body suit dancing on a table. 

Charlotte is currently a sophomore at Boston University studying Political Science and History, but hopes to one day rule the world. In her free time she enjoys eating food with melted cheese, going antiquing, and serenading her dog with Usher’s greatest hits.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.