Your Guide to the Recent Boston T Issues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As BU students, we are constantly jumping on and off the Green Line to get around. Of course over the last few weeks, this hasn’t been as easy.  With the freezing temperatures and the out of control snowfall, the T has clearly been suffering and so have we! When the MBTA decided it would totally shut down all of its busses, trains, trolleys and commuter rails twice in February it made it nearly impossible for normal city-life to function. Even BU administrators have said that the shut downs of the T directly contributed to the school’s decision for snow days.  The issues with the T have impacted all professors and students alike, even as it started resuming to “normal”.

The Green Line on other branches started functioning again but restoration of the B-Line took an extra week. Busses replaced normal service from Kenmore all the way to BC, which made for some cold waiting, some crowded busses and some very unhappy customers. Even in the last week of February the Commuter Rail was still facing issues and reduced service all over the state, making longer commutes from outside the city even longer. But it was the Red Line from the towns of Braintree and Ashmont into the city that was impacted the most.  Busses replaced all the lines up to JFK/UMass making a 50-minute trip more than three hours. 

Understandably, people have been really unhappy with the T because like students here at BU, people depend on the T and rely on it to keep their lives in working order.  Many have called for refund of their monthly and semester passes, but as of now, the MBTA says no refunds will be given. Overall, the T is an old system and administrators say that the breakdowns and shutdowns are due to its age and inability to function in cold weather. Many placed the blame on MBTA general manager Beverly Scott and said it was issues with her leadership and control of the system that caused the massive shutdowns, delays and cancelations. Beverly Scott has since announced her resignation, taking effect in April, which may cause more problems. With March finally here, many are hopeful that the warmer temperatures and lesser snowfall will finally allow the T to get back to normal for the coming months. But clearly for students here at BU and for employees all around the city the issues with the MBTA from this winter will be a scarring experience. Hopefully, over the spring and summer the MBTA will be able to hire a new general manager as well as make much-needed improvements with the T. Because, as we all know, winters in Boston will forever be freezing and snowy and student and employee lives must go on. And, in order for city-life to function, the T has to be up, running and reliable. 

Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis