andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Your Essential Guide to Solo Air Travel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I’ve traveled to more than 30 countries in my life so far. Yes, I know, I’m very, very fortunate. However, when you’re traveling with your parents like I mostly did, you don’t understand the many meticulous things that our parents, or those who travel with us, take on themselves and relieve us of doing. As we get older, it is up to us to start taking on those responsibilities.

Here’s an example of what your schedule could look like if you’re traveling by yourself:

1. Always arrive two hours earlier than your flight. If you’re traveling during the holiday season, arrive 3 hours early. Trust me! There are two things you can always expect from airports: lines and traffic. Be ready for them.

2. After walking into the airport, you must check your luggage and get your ticket first. If you already have your ticket and have only a carry-on, then go straight to passport control.  

3. After passing passport control, you head over to the security check. When traveling, wear something that’s easy and quick to take off. You’ll be stressed already waiting in those lines, looking after your documents and listening for security requirements (each country is different, some require everything to be taken off and put into bins, some only few things). You don’t want to lose anything! So, make sure all your clothes are easily removable. 

4. After passing security control, you’re done! Well, at least the stressful part is over. Now, you can head to your gate. I stress being early for this reason. At your gate, you can sit down, read, relax, and grab a bite of local cuisine if you’re in a foreign airport. Then, my favorite part; get some work done. Once I arrive at my country of choice, I know I will be too exhausted and excited to work, so it’s best to get done beforehand.

I hope I’ve helped you prepare for your next travel adventure. Remember, while it can be intimidating, don’t be afraid to ask questions when traveling by yourself. Be firm, but polite. In some cultures, however, conversing or smiling is not a common trait (Russia for example). That doesn’t mean the people aren’t nice or that your stay won’t be pleasant, it is just part of a different culture. Always be mindful of the rules of the culture you’re traveling to. Read online about the etiquette of that culture beforehand, and be brave.

Explore, educate yourself, and have fun!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.