Wellness

You Need to Get Outside of the BU Bubble

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

This semester has been really hard on everyone, and I mean really hard. Between difficult schoolwork, unentertaining Zoom classes, a stressful election, and a frightful pandemic, it’s been hard to stay sane. Pressures from nearly all sides have definitely taken their toll on everyone’s mental health. 

Curtain-wall Building Behind Red and Beige Concrete Cathedral
Pixaby/Pexels
One thing that I’ve been doing more often is making excuses to get outside of the BU bubble. Generally, it’s easy to get stuck in the same routine of going to classes and back to the apartment or dorm on repeat under normal circumstances. This cycle is typically tough to break out of simply because you don’t realize it. I know that I’ve gotten stuck inside the BU bubble for months at a time throughout my years here at BU. It’s worryingly easy to do, and it’s only been made easier by the pandemic. This semester, I’ve found myself barely going anywhere because I did not need to. If it wasn’t a quick trip to the grocery store or my occasional in-person classes, I barely found myself outside of my apartment. That’s why I decided to make a conscious effort to get out more and explore Boston a little more by myself (while staying Covid-safe, of course).

Recently, the weather has been surprisingly nice for Boston in November, which is attributed to global warming. I feel slightly guilty for enjoying the nice weather while knowing its cause, but we might as well enjoy it while we can. I took the nice weather as inspiration to visit the Boston Commons and the surrounding area. The Commons is gorgeous in the fall. Colorful leaves are falling everywhere, and the way the light reflects off of the pond is beautiful. Overall, it’s a 10/10, and even though the weather has cooled off since then, it’s definitely still worth a visit. The ice skating rink in the winter is a must-see. I also explored around the Commons and happened upon a cute little bookshop called Brattle Book Shop. The bookstore typically has an outdoor setup of books for purchase if the weather permits. I bought two books from there on my last excursion, and I would encourage anybody who likes reading to check it out.

Sahaj Bendi/Unsplash
Getting outside of the BU campus and taking just a little bit of time to explore the city has made me more at peace with the state of things at the moment. Being inside an apartment, nearly 24/7, is enough to drive anybody crazy, and we must take time to do things that make us happy during these wild times.

If you can, I’d highly recommend taking a little trip to the North End or the Commons by yourself and just spending some time to reflect and relax. It’s worth it. 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Brianna is a sophomore at BU studying International Relations with a concentration in the Middle East and North Africa.