This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The following serves as a reflection of sorts on my past year as a member of BUTV10, Boston University’s television station. While most writers at Her Campus are journalism majors, and our articles are tailored towards college women, I wanted to write about everything I have learned this past year working in student media.

When I transferred here last fall, I wanted to jump right in and get involved. I chose BU for their reputable journalism school, and I immediately learned why our program is so successful. I wanted an intense, fast-paced, student television news experience — and BUTV10 allowed me to hit the ground running my first week on campus.

I became involved with two news shows, “Good Morning, BU” and “The Wire.” If you are an incoming student to BU, or just want to test the waters in broadcast journalism, I recommend getting involved right away. BUTV10 will give you a dose of real-life preparation for televised hard news, and you will quickly learn whether the news life is the path you want to embark on.

It’s only been two semesters so far for me, but I have learned a lot. I have had the opportunity each week to do a live morning show. I wrote for five hours straight on election night, reporting the results live. I have learned to write news stories in under two minutes. I have been critiqued by professors who have been in the industry for years. I have failed and messed up on-air multiple times. I have also succeeded and been told, “Great job!” multiple times. With every mistake and with every triumph, you are supported and surrounded by people who have the same goal as you: to learn and grow.

Boston University’s journalism program, and BUTV10 specifically, have allowed me to have real-world experiences that truly help prepare you for the real world. Essentially, what we student journalists report on is real news. It gets published, it’s put on air, and it is judged by an audience of viewers. Most of all, BUTV10 has taught me to develop tremendous respect for what we do. Journalism students are some of the toughest and the brightest. One thing BUTV10 has taught me, most of all, is that this field requires some very thick skin. But if you have the courage, you will realize how rewarding and fun this job can be.

So, I want to thank every professor and student who has embarked on this crazy BUTV10 journey with me. I can honestly say I have learned more here at BU in one year than I did during the two years at my previous school. I encourage anyone who wants a career in broadcast journalism to explore the amazing shows at BUTV10.

I did, and it was one of the greatest decisions of my college career.

Christy is a broadcast journalism major with a cinema & media studies focus at Boston University, class of 2018. She aspires to be a news anchor for a major network. In her spare time, she is an actress! Check out her journalism site at christymatino.weebly.com and her acting site at christymatino.com
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.