WTF (Where’s The Food?) — Sol Azteca: The Best Authentic Mexican Food in Boston!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Cheese has always been a go-to food for me. Whether it’s unrolling the red wax of Babybel, scooping cheddar cheese off the nachos and eating it by itself, or spreading warm goat cheese over a cracker, I’m there!

But Sol Azteca’s queso asado with slices of chorizo on top is definitely in my top five favorite cheese dishes ever. The dish is served in a cast iron skillet with a diameter of approximately 6 inches, and the cheese literally comes out bubbling. There is a lightly golden crust on top of the cheese by the edges, but even the delicious crust is still bubbling. I pick up a chip, dip it in, and slowly pull up. There is a line of string almost two feet tall, connecting the chip and the skillet.

Last year I went through a phase where I made salsa weekly. I remember watching a Tastemade video where the chef blistered the tomatoes, then peeled them, and then finally put them in a food processor with cilantro, onion, spices, and salt. To say the least, I was inspired. In an effort to make the most delicious salsa, I probably tried three different levels of blistering tomatoes, five different kinds of onion, and all different combinations of spices and salts.

I was aiming for the salsa to resemble the salsa at Sol Azteca. Almost half of the salsa is finely chopped white onion, which adds a great texture. However, it’s as if the onions are soaked in lime juice because they don’t taste like onion. It truly is an enigma to me how they make it so mouthwateringly perfect. 

For my entree, I ordered the Chiles Rellenos: green chilis stuffed with cheese in a mildly spicy sauce. They were severed with sides of red cabbage, black beans, and rice. I finished it all, scraping at the sides of the plate for just a little more sauce.

Go to Sol Azteca; it’s homey and comfortable and the food is delicious. And even better, it’s only a 20-minute walk from West Campus through residential North Brookline!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.