Career

The Women in Science Who Deserve More Recognition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Like many fields of work, science is home to some incredible women who do not get the recognition they deserve. Our world has been forever changed by the contributions of my women scientists and more people need to be talking about it. These are just a few of the incredible women in STEM that are worthy of praise.

Mae Jemison

This incredibly talented and genius woman was the first African American woman to be admitted to the astronaut training program and then in 1992, became the first African American woman to travel to space. She attended Stanford and Cornell University and was a member of the Peace Corps before her time in space. Now, Jemison focuses on her own company, the Jemison Group, which works to improve healthcare in Africa and advance technology in developing countries. Jemison is an inspiration for all, as she promotes the idea that anyone can pursue their dreams. She also emphasizes the point that we can accomplish great things when minorities and women are given the opportunity to contribute.

Amanda Nguyen

Nguyen was and still is obsessed with space. She dreamed of being an astronaut and is now training to become one. She was an intern at NASA and worked at Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. While her interest and passion for space is something to be admired, her most notable work is actually separate from science. Nguyen was the power behind the passing and creation of the Sexual Assault Survivors’ Rights Act, and founder of the organization Rise. Nguyen is a survivor of rape who created Rise to preserve and further the rights of other victims. She is a 2019 Nobel Peace Prize nominee and a strong voice in today’s society. Her work in civil rights is important and incredibly note-worthy, but I also think we can expect more big news from her once she travels to space.

Valentina Tereshkova

Valentina Tereshkova was the first woman to go to space in 1963. She was a Soviet scientist who orbited the earth 48 times in her time in space. After her time in the sky, she became involved in Russian politics. Later, she went on to be named an official Hero of the Soviet Union. The men involved in her space exploration were not keen on allowing a woman in space, but her persistence rewarded her with the title of the first woman in space.

Nettie Stevens

A victim of history, Nettie Stevens is often forgotten or not given credit for her foundational discovery of sex chromosomes. After an impressive educational background and continuous research of DNA, Stevens determined that men have both X and Y chromosome while women only have X. She also determined the amount of chromosomes index determination. Her discoveries were groundbreaking and foundational in further studies of DNA and sex determination.

These women all exemplify the fact that anyone is capable of accomplishing their dreams. Their discoveries and accomplishments deserve just as much recognition as their male counterparts. Women can do anything and everything.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Emma is an English major at Boston University. She hopes to have a novel published and write for a sketch comedy show one day. In her free time she reads, writes, and paints. She loves to make people laugh and fully believes in aliens.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.