This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The key to dressing for any season is having a few staples to integrate into your outfits. This is especially the case for winter, when it can feel like you are wearing that favorite cozy sweater all the time. With a few staple basics, you can make more outfits out of that winter wardrobe of yours. 

The Staple Turtleneck 

A classic turtleneck, in a color like black or beige, is so easy to integrate into your winter wardrobe. Use it as a layering top or pair it with your favorite jeans and skirts. The staple turtleneck will save you when you have no idea what to wear on that chilly December day. 

Dark, Non-Ripped Jeans

Even though ripped jeans are a fan favorite, they are not the most practical attire for those frigid winter days—that’s why  un-ripped, dark jeans are a must-have. On those days you aren’t feeling the ripped jeans, these can be a cozy and cute option. Dark jeans are also versatile and can be paired with just about any top. 

Warm Accessories

Both functional and cute, warm accessories will come in handy. Hats and scarves are an easy way to spice up a plain outfit or add some versatility to a look you often fall back on. Add a beanie for a pop of color or a scarf for some extra texture to your look! 

Layer-Friendly Jackets and Sweaters

Layering is the key to staying warm in the winter—it also makes for cute outfits too. Switching up your layering, with different staple jackets and sweaters, is an easy way to add some variety to your outfits. Throw on that staple sweater over any top for a cute and cozy look. 

Booties

Having a go-to pair of boots or booties is the ultimate winter staple. You can dress them up or down, wear them with pants or a skirt, and match them with all different colors in your closet. On most days, they will make your choice of shoe simple. 

Style-wise, owning the staples ought to get you through the winter season. Layer, mix and match, and stay warm! 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Christina Constantine is a Boston University senior studying journalism. She is a New York City native that loves all things fashion, health, and lifestyle related.    
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.