Why Your Neighbors Should Be Your Best Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

When my family moved to New Jersey in 2002, the last thing my mom expected was to find her best friend across the street. It didn’t take long for them to meet, then bond over their shared love of nature and similar life experiences. After many years of joint family dinners they became the best of friends, practically soul sisters. My mom’s best friend is as close to me as an aunt. 

When I arrived at my freshman year dorm, the last thing I imagined was to find the same kind of friendship on my floor. Faith, Shay, and Flo lived in the triple two doors down, but we didn’t talk until about two months into the year. Right around Halloween, we both had our spooky signs stolen from our doorsteps. With our shared trauma we grew closer, and soon enough attended hockey games and dinners together.

Through both watching my mom and her best friend, and my interactions with my own, I’ve come to learn just how helpful it can be to have friends nearby. Here’s exactly why your neighbors should be your best friends:

Hanging out is so easy!

Want to chill in their room? You just have to walk ten feet down the hall and you’re there!

Anything you may need is at your fingertips!

If you run out of toothpaste, or makeup wipes, or any other necessity, it’s way easier to walk down the hall than run to City Convenience at 11pm.

Getting ready together isn’t a hassle.

You don’t have to drag your curling iron and clothes in a big backpack down Commonwealth if you all want to get ready for an event together, which makes it way less complicated. And, you don’t even have to pick up all your stuff at theirs later.

Late nights are possible.

Want to hold a late night dish sesh? It’s way easier to manage when you can get in bed less than 30 seconds after. 

Forget something? No problem!

Whether you forget something in their room, or forget to bring something there, you don’t have to go outside, let alone leave the floor to grab it.

Hugs are always accessible.

If you ever need a good hug, it’s right down the hallway waiting for you, along with the very best friends there are.

Having my best friends two doors down the hallway was the best, and I hope you get to experience all these perks too! 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Cait is a junior at Boston University studying International Relations and Journalism. She is excited to continue writing and editing for Her Campus BU this Fall. On-campus, Cait is also a member of the sorority Kappa Alpha Theta where she holds an officer position. Other than writing, Cait loves photography, her cats, and exploring the effects of nuclear proliferation. You can find out more about Cait's plans and goals at www.caitmeyer.com
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.