This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

If you’ve watched every episode of The Great British Bake Off on Netflix (… twice), you may be interested in finding a new reality competition show to go through. Or, maybe you’re in search of a TV show to put on in the background while you do homework. Either way, Interior Design Masters on Netflix is my latest TV recommendation of choice, and there are so many reasons why you should check it out.

Similar to GBBO, all of the contestants on Interior Design Masters are amateurs hoping to jump-start their careers through this experience. This leads to an interesting level of skill, with just the perfect balance of creative, out-of-the-box designs and slip-ups that lead to a diverse range of critiques from the judges.

Couple reading together
Photo by Toa Heftiba from Unsplash
Speaking of the judges, the primary judge throughout the season is popular British designer Michelle Ogundehin, and she is joined by guest judges every week that bring their own unique perspectives to the judging. I really enjoyed this detail because you get to hear different critiques, and each guest judge has their own signature style and personal priorities when it comes to what makes good design.

In the first season, the show is hosted by Fearne Cotton, who was an absolute joy to watch whenever she came into the middle of a challenge to interview the contestants and offer them encouragement. When things get stressful, Fearne lightens up the mood just enough for the contestants to keep going. 

The second season has not hit Netflix yet, but it switches Fearne for new host Alan Carr. It will certainly be interesting to see how this changes the dynamic of the show overall.

The contestants work as teams for most of the season, which is especially fun to watch because many of them are headstrong designers, so you get to watch them learn to work together and compromise in order to make clients and the judges happy. Either that or they get sent home, that is.

boho bedroom with plants and macrame
Photo by Timothy Buck from Unsplash
There is one contestant (who will remain nameless, to avoid spoilers) who has the most incredible arc of growth as far as learning to both accept criticism from the judges and learning to work together with other designers instead of just asserting their ideas over everyone else’s. It’s this kind of growth throughout the eight-episode season that makes the contestants’ journeys especially fun to watch. 

It’s also a great show if you don’t know much about design. I feel like I learned a lot about how interior design actually functions as a profession, as well as how designers make decisions throughout the design process. While I’m interested in art and creative fields in general, this is definitely an art form that I didn’t know much about going into the show, which made it an even more enjoyable watch. 

Now that I’ve gone through the first season and had my #opinions about the outcome, all there is left to do is patiently wait for season 2 to arrive on Netflix.

Interior Design Masters is a fun and speedy watch that fills the need for a reality contest show, and the ending is sure to leave you Feeling Things™ and wanting more.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Morgan is a senior at Boston University studying public relations with minors in art history and political science. She loves fall, cafés, and exploring Boston. She is a frequent art museum goer and an ardent Bruins fan. Besides writing, Morgan's hobbies include curating Spotify playlists, cheering on the BU Terriers at hockey games, and exploring independent bookstores.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.