Why You Should Shop at Trader Joe’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Odds are you have probably heard of Trader Joe’s before. It is a grocery store chain that can be found in 41 states and in Washington D.C. My family has been regularly shopping at Trader Joe’s ever since I can remember. I personally think it’s the best grocery store and there are many reasons why.

Every time you walk into a Trader Joe’s, you are guaranteed a free sample of whatever product they are highlighting that day. To make things better, they always have free coffee and tea which you can sip as you browse the store. This makes the shopping experience even better. Also, every month, Trader Joe’s decorates its stores based on holidays that happen that month. For November, you will find decorations linked to Thanksgiving – it gives the store a very festive feel.

Now, let’s talk about the food. Trader Joe’s prides itself on selling food from all over the world. They also have a wide variety of vegan and vegetarian options. Their vegan chocolate ice cream is amazing! Their prices are not expensive, so it is perfect for college students on a budget.

If you go to Trader Joe’s for the first time, you might be overwhelmed by the wide variety of food available. You should start with fan favorites, like their Gone Bananas chocolate-covered banana slices. Fair warning – these are so addicting, so you might finish a whole box in one sitting. Other favorites are the Trader O’s cookies and the cauliflower gnocchi. The cauliflower gnocchi can be either microwaved or cooked on a stovetop. It is good either way, but I recommend cooking it on the stovetop.

Credit: Trader Joe’s

One of my favorite things about Trader Joe’s is that they have great customer service. Not a single time have I encountered a rude staff member. Everyone always greets you with a smile and is willing to help make your shopping experience the best it can be. Now, if you’re planning to go to Trader Joe’s, the closest one to campus is about a mile away on Boylston Street.

Credit: Trader Joe’s

It is open every day from 9:00 am to 10:00 pm. Pro-tip: their busiest times are usually Friday evenings, Saturdays, and Sunday mornings, so if you don’t want to deal with many hectic shoppers, avoid those times.

Also, if you need some inspiration for your shopping, head over to the Trader Joe’s website and browse their recipes section. Here you will find Ideas of recipes using ingredients sold at Trader Joes. Right now, for dinner, they are featuring a “Fall Turkey Chilli with Pumpkin,” “Lemon Ricotta Ravioli Salad,” and “Beefless Burritos” among other recipes.

I hope you give Trader Joe’s a chance, and happy shopping!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Karla is a sophomore at Boston University majoring in english.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.