Why You Should Check Out Used Bookstores

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

One of my favorite things to do when I’m looking for inspiration is to pay a visit to my local used bookstore. You can find nearly any book you could ever want for even cheaper than you would at your local Barnes and Noble. I’ve always found some interesting finds and can spend hours sitting on the ground reading.

Photo Credit: hogophotoNY on Flickr

Even though the books are second hand and might be a little worn, they can be cheaper. I always check out used bookstores before purchasing any of my own textbooks for the year; the school bookstore is always more expensive. Also, buying a used copy of your favorite novel is better for the environment than purchasing a new hardcover copy.

If you’re trying to relax over the upcoming breaks, I recommend paying a visit to your local used bookstore. You could grab a copy of one of your favorite books you’ve read recently, a book you’ve been meaning to read, or a completely new one you discover at one of Boston’s many used bookstores.

Photo Credit: Shops and Goods

Some of my favorite used bookstores include Brattle Bookshop and the basement of the Harvard Bookstore, which is filled with used books in a variety of organized sections. Additionally, they offer a service where they will buy some of your own used books – might be handy as we get ready to clean out our academic bookshelves.

Consider swinging by a used bookstore – they will save you money and help the environment!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

I'm a sophomore at Boston University studying journalism and public health.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.