Why You Need to Watch House of Cards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

You’ve seen the tweets and statuses, pictures of the star-studded cast, and you’ve heard the hype about the Netflix original series, House of Cards. With the premier of season two on Netflix, this hot TV series has been getting lots of attention on social media. But to those who have not seen the show, why is this series so popular and, in my opinion, completely addictive? For someone who just recently hopped on the bandwagon last month just in time for the start of season two, I’ll clue you in on why this show is so awesome.

The start of the show is totally confusing–but that’s actually a good thing!

About four episodes into season one, if someone was to ask me what the show was about I would have simply said the “government and affairs…?” But do not fear if you are lost in the beginning, the intricate storyline unfolds as the episodes progress, and it makes the show’s tension and thrill factor much more addicting. This show needs to be watched in chronological order, so although the hype is about season two, definitely watch all of season one. Watching it this way will make the plot line much less complicated!

House of Cards is addictive.

This show is undeniably one of the most addicting shows I’ve ever watched. The reason for this is because the producers love to throw curveballs. You’ll see some of the most scandalous, shocking, and intense moments on television in this show. Fair warning, if you have tests and lots of work for school right now, watch it over Spring break!

The characters are intricate and personal

What I love about the characters in House of Cards is that they are all very well developed. You learn so much about the scandals–both romantic and within their career–as well as their weaknesses. The lives of these characters feel very real, and I think very often TV series make their character’s lives seem unbelievable. Even though some of the events that take place seem pretty unbelievable, the impact on the characters is very real.

Season one and two are on Netflix–binge, binge, binge!

The best part of this show is that there is no need to wait a week to start the next episode or see what happens after a huge cliffhanger! Netflix has both of the seasons online and ready for you to sell your soul to your computer–which will happen while watching this show. 

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.