Why You Don’t Need A Man To Be Badass

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Single women get the short end of the stick when it comes to mainstream culture. No, really, we do. It doesn’t matter how long you’ve been single or whether you’re single by choice or not, being single is treated like some kind of personality flaw.

“You’re single?” 

“Damn, I’d date you if I was a guy.”

“Aww, don’t worry, it’ll happen when you least expect it.”

“You’re so amazing, I’m sure you’re gonna find the one soon.”

“Are you sure you’re not too picky?” 

First of all, yes, I am single. Second of all, let me live my friggin life. I don’t need to be treated like some poor, fragile, emotionally vulnerable creature lacking in Vitamin Boy, even if I sometimes act like that. 

I (and all other single women) deserve to be treated like we are our own people, not mere extensions of the men in our romantic (or lack thereof) lives. I am my own person, and it’s not a character flaw to not have a man in my life. So what if I’m single? These college years are the best years of your life. 

This is the time to travel, make friends, break out of your comfort zone, and start thinking of your career and your future. This is a formative time, a critical time to be you. For the first time in your life, you’ll be away from your parents and childhood friends. 

You make the executive decisions in your life, really get to strike out on your own, and begin living life as an authentic version of yourself. 

Sure, on the surface, being in a relationship seems all hunky dory until you look closer. Couples fight, couples sometimes hurt each other, they bore each other, but most importantly, they’re just like anybody else.

I truly believe that there is someone out there for everyone, and everyone’s timeline of love looks different. Nineteen is too young to be worrying about being forever alone. 

It’s easy to give into the soul-crushing panic that accompanies the dreaded cuffing season. It’s easy to give up hope and feel like you’re going to be single forever and feel unloved and unlovable. 

But I promise you, you are a badass. More than you will ever know, you are such a badass and don’t let your lack of a man change that. 

Trust me, when you do get a boyfriend, he’ll be so impressed with how much of a badass you are, he’ll be so head over heels in love with you. So go on out, single woman and live your best life. 

You are a badass, embrace it. 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

The quintessential English major who's obsessed with coffee, Orange Is The New Black, puppies, babies and also human rights (coz those are important). She can usually be found trying to convince people that she's actually a college student or eating at Panda Express. In her spare time, she also enjoys arguing about whether or not Kanye West is a genius or overrated. Follow her on instagram @dahappytoad .
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.