Why Season 5 of Love Island Needs to Be Your Next Quarantine Binge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Before summer 2019, I’d never been a fan of reality TV. I’d never been able to get into The Bachelor or its spinoff, The Bachelorette, and there weren’t really any other shows that stuck out to me. I was under the impression that all reality TV was scripted and inauthentic―essentially, a waste of time. But last June, everyone at my high school was talking about the latest season of a British reality show: Love Island. I had heard of the show before, but I’d never watched it, mainly because the idea of a new episode every day seemed daunting.

However, with nothing else to do that summer, my sisters and I decided to check out the first episode. We were immediately hooked on the premise of the show, which was unlike anything we’d ever watched before. Suddenly, daily episodes were no longer daunting―instead, they weren’t enough. We got my cousin to watch the show as well, and sure enough, we spent every morning watching and obsessing over what was going to happen next. Eventually, when I started my freshman year in the fall, I got my roommate hooked on it as well.

There are currently six seasons of Love Island, which you can all find on Hulu. I’ve watched seasons three, five, and six so far, but here’s why the 2019 season needs to be your next quarantine binge.

The cast.

The 2019 cast is, simply put, the best cast. They’re not always the nicest, or the most likable, but to me, they are by far the most entertaining. What do you get when you put fifteen dramatic, jealous, confrontational people all in one villa? Pure and utter chaos. You will laugh with them, curse at them, and even cry with them. The cast truly makes the season, and they take you on a whirlwind journey throughout the fifty episodes. My favorites definitely have to be Amber, Tommy, Ovie, Maura, and Molly.

The soundtrack.

The soundtrack to this show is truly unmatched, but it’s especially excellent in season five. My Shazam app was constantly in use every time I watched an episode, so I could curate the perfect Spotify playlist. It features tons of hidden gems and fun summer throwbacks, and each song fits the mood perfectly.

It’s the perfect mood booster for quarantine.

I joke around with my friends that nothing gives me more serotonin than Love Island, but it’s honestly true. The show takes place in Majorca during the summer, so not only is the setting beautiful, but it will have you reminiscing on better times. No matter where in the world you’re quarantined, you’ll be able to lose yourself in the drama and the summer backdrop. I’m on my third rewatch of the season during quarantine, and it really does always cheer me up.

The plot twists are insane.

Reality TV isn’t something you necessarily learn lessons from, but if there is one message that sticks out from this season, it’s to think twice before trusting easily. I changed my mind multiple times on every single contestant in the villa. People that used to be fan favorites turned into the biggest villains of the season, and vice versa. The season will keep you on the edge of your seat, especially when it comes to Casa Amor, the biggest test of loyalty for all the couples.

Maura Higgins.

Maura isn’t just the best contestant on season five―she’s the best contestant in Love Island history. Now, I will admit that I didn’t always love Maura. There were some moments where she actually drove me insane. But the season truly starts when she enters the villa on Day 10, and she’s universally regarded as a series standout. Maura is stunning, hilarious, and real, and her catchphrases will always live on.

Even though I’m on my third rewatch, but the fifth season of Love Island is still just as much fun as ever. If quarantine has affected your mood, I highly recommend checking out this season on Hulu to cheer you up, because it’s definitely doing that for me. So, yes, maybe Love Island can be scripted at times. Maybe it is inauthentic―but it’s also really, really entertaining.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Dana is a freshman at Boston University studying International Relations. She is from Dubai, but she recently moved across the world to attend BU. In her free time, she loves reading, rewatching Gilmore Girls, going to concerts, and writing.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.