Why Rom Com Fans are Lost Without Matthew McConaughey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Alright, Alright, Alright. Any fan of romantic comedies knows the name Matthew McConaughey. He has graced the screens of countless romcoms over the years, charming millions with that Texas accent and swooning smile.

If you’re as obsessed with chick flicks as I am, you probably noticed Matthew McConaughey hasn’t been making this type of movie as frequently anymore. He’s left for the big leagues- you know for the types of movies that win actors Oscars (yes, he did win one of those), leaving young women everywhere without our leading man for the junk-food-filled movie nights gawking at our screens. In memory of Matthew McConaughey’s time as our perfect on-screen boyfriend, here is the definitive ranking of his chick flick roles. and basically the reasons he NEEDS to come back to us in the rom com world. Immediately.

5.     Ghosts of Girlfriends Past

Sure it may be last on my list, but it has McConaughey in the movie, so there’s really nothing to complain about.

4.     Fool’s Gold

The fact that McConaughey and Kate Hudson reconnected once again (previously together in my number one pick) is the only reason necessary to want to watch this one. 

3.     The Wedding Planner

This one’s for the true romantics. Jennifer Lopez shares the screen with McConaughey and you can’t help but root for their love connection to become something more (even if one of them is currently engaged).

2.     Failure to Launch

So. Much. Laughter. It may not be that realistic of a plot line, but the comedic acting of the entire cast makes this a McConaughey favorite.  Plus Sarah Jessica Parker costars for all the Sex and the City fans!

1.     How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

There’s really no competition when it comes to McConaughey’s best chick flick role. Hands down How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days is the perfect combination of comedic banter and romantic chemistry between the lead actors. If you haven’t seen it yet, mark your next girls night now!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.