This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I love reading poetry. It’s my favorite thing to talk about at any given time, and I think that everyone should give it a try. You can read poems in physical books, find them online, listen to the authors read them themselves— really whatever you prefer. Here are a few reasons why I read poetry, and links to some of my favorite poems.

There’s a poem for any and every topic.

No matter how you’re feeling, there’s a poem for your emotion or experience. There are countless poems on love, life, hardships, nature, and just about anything else. Some are simple and straightforward, and others are filled with imagery and figurative language. Some are structured, and some are free-form. Half the fun is figuring out which styles you like best!

For my mental health.

Writing can be a great creative outlet for people struggling with mental health issues. It can be therapeutic and helpful to read about others’ experiences, especially when you are struggling yourself. Some of my favorite poems are about hope, and they inspire me whenever I need some motivation.

To learn more about others.

In general, I think that reading is an easy and amazing way to learn about people that you otherwise would not have been introduced to. A poem can show you inside someone’s innermost thoughts, which is such a valuable and fun experience. For example, “The Palace” by Kaveh Akbar offers a very interesting and personal take on immigration. It’s a bit long, but definitely worth the read.

To learn more about myself.

I often lose myself in a poem’s world, but I also find myself in its relatability. Poetry can serve as a beautiful reminder that you’re not alone. Reading a poem that describes exactly how you’re feeling can be so comforting, especially when it’s worded so eloquently.

I frequently read a line of poetry that makes me see things differently or appreciate life a little more. Sometimes I read a poem that changes my life in one way or another, and I am grateful for poetry every single day.

Clearly, poetry is very special to me. I hope that this can inspire you and give you some new poem recommendations!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Hi! I'm Martha, and I'm a psychology major from New Jersey. I love reading, writing, listening to music, eating ice cream, and meeting new people!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.