Why Paying for A Prestigious College is Still Worth It, Even For an English Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s worth noting that I am an indecisive person. Smaller decisions—like where to go to for lunch or which movie to watch—are often tougher for me than big decisions—like confessing my love or getting a new job. I am not indecisive because I don’t like all my options, but rather because I like too many of them. I have a knack for seeing the potential in everything. Regardless, though, I have never been indecisive about choosing my major.

English literature was always the right path for me. Looking back on it now, it could never have been anything else. Sure, I have the fire for political science, the patience for teaching, and the ambition for business, but my passion has always been for words and stories. Learning how to tell them and communicate arguments has always been everything to me.

Still, though, there is a strong association between English major and unemployment or unpayable debt. Full disclaimer: I pay for college mostly out of my own pocket, and I work several jobs to afford to be here. People often ask me why I would pay to go to an expensive private school like BU, to be an English major. 

person holding $100 Dollar bills
Photo by Alexander Mils from Pexels
And the truth is, initially I agreed with them. I was bent on following my passion, though, and unwilling to compromise my major, so I chose to save money by attending my local state school, the University of New Hampshire. While I was extremely unhappy there, my only consolation was how much money I would be saving. However, I soon realized that my mental health was not worth being sacrificed, and I decided to apply for transfer admission at BU. I thought, what the heck, I might as well apply and see what kind of financial aid I would receive.

I knew that no matter how much money BU gave me, it still wouldn’t be as cheap as my state school. However, on that day in April, when I finally received my financial aid package, it came closer than I thought it would––coming up to an additional 10k a year. In the grand scheme of things, I couldn’t believe it. That would mean one more loan a year, rather than multiple. 

Since I’ve been here for over a year now, I am still happy with my decision. Even though it means more hours at work and tighter budget restrictions, I feel like the change in my education and environment makes it worthwhile. My newfound happiness, the opposite of what I had been feeling at my previous institution, in addition to the surplus of resources, internship opportunities, and shared passion among peers, justifies the extra cost. 

Now, when people still question my decision to come here because they see an English major as just that—a major—it’s an opportunity to remind them and myself that a major does not specifically correlate with a job. Speaking for English majors everywhere, there is so much you can do with a degree in English—teaching, consulting, editing, publishing, advertising, law, policy, research, journalism, etc. Personally, I’m pre-law and can’t wait to use my analysis and argument skills—that I’ve developed as a result of studying literature—and apply them to a legal profession.

Majors don’t box us into one specific career path. Even if a major is condemned as being synonymous with unemployment or debt, it does not necessarily mean that that is certain. I’m tired of English majors being written off like this, and I’m sure many majors across humanities, and the arts feel similarly. Poets, painters, and artists have been written off like this for centuries, and yet, it is art and culture people remember the most about a place. 

Brush Painting Color Paint
Daian Gan / Pexels
I am lucky in the sense that I was given enough financial aid to have the opportunity to transfer. I know this, and I also know that my academic experience is more enriching and rewarding than it would have been otherwise. To anyone reading this torn about whether to follow their passion, I urge you to do it. Even if it’s just a minor or a second major, make sure that you are actively pursuing the life you want.

As Robin Williams said in Dead Poets Society, “Medicine, law, business, engineering––these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.”

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Ava is a pre-law senior at Boston University studying English with a minor in history. She loves traveling, drinking excessive amounts of hot chocolate, creative writing, and skydiving. You can find her on instagram @avazing !