Why Oatmeal Is the Best Breakfast Food

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As someone who eats oatmeal for breakfast almost every day, I will go as far as to say it is the ultimate breakfast food. I love all breakfast food and would be completely okay eating breakfast food for every single meal. Oatmeal stands out from all the other breakfast foods though, and here’s why.

1. It’s healthy.

Credits: Iowa Girl Eats

I always feel a bit guilty after eating a platter of eggs, sausage, potatoes, and pancakes, but never feel guilty about eating oatmeal for breakfast. Starting off your day with a healthy breakfast just sets you up to eating healthy meals the rest of the day, and if for some reason you eat unhealthy meals for lunch and dinner, then at least you started your day off right with a healthy breakfast.

2. Unlimited topping possibilities.

Credits: Very Breakfast

You could literally top your oatmeal with anything. Some of my favorite toppings are cinnamon, strawberries, raisins, blueberries, peanut butter, and bananas. With so many toppings to choose from, you could literally have a different oatmeal bowl every day.

3. It never gets boring.

Credits: Chatelaine

Even with the same toppings every single day, I never get tired of oatmeal, but maybe I’m just really boring. But if you are the type of person who gets tired of eating the same thing repeatedly, just switch up the toppings every so often. With so many toppings to choose from, you’ll never get tired of it.

4. It’s not just a “breakfast” food.

Credits: The Daily Free Press

When I said oatmeal had unlimited topping possibilities, I wasn’t just referring to the typical fruit toppings everybody uses. Some popular “dinner oatmeal” recipes include toppings you’d never think to add to your oatmeal. Some of these toppings include avocado, mushroom, sweet potato, eggs, asparagus, bacon, spinach, carrots, beans, broccoli, cheese, etc. While I’ve never tried oatmeal with any of these crazy toppings, the reviews for them say that they’re delicious and extremely savory.

5. Anyone can make it.

Credits: Can You Microwave?

Oatmeal is incredibly quick and easy to make. I make it in my dorm room’s microwave and it only takes two minutes. It’s as easy as putting the oats and milk into a bowl and popping it into the microwave.

6. It’s cost-effective.

Credits:  Leaf TV

I buy the large Quaker Oats canister for $5 at Target and it lasts the entire month, sometimes even longer. A bagel and coffee cost more than a month’s worth of oatmeal. If you want to cut down on your expensive breakfast habits, start eating oatmeal; you can’t go wrong.

I feel like oatmeal has a bad reputation for being a boring breakfast food, but that is so wrong.If you haven’t given oatmeal a chance yet, go ahead and buy it. Give your other breakfast foods a break, you won’t regret it.

Cover Photo: Fitness Magazine

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Clarissa is a senior majoring in Journalism at Boston University's College of Communication. Besides writing, Clarissa loves Srabble, astrology, and satire. ?
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.