Why Netflix’s “The Society” Should Not Have Been Cancelled

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

If you haven’t seen Netflix’s The Society, allow me to catch you up: the series is a Netflix original that was released on May 10, 2019. It follows a group of teens in a small town in Connecticut who leave for a field trip, only to turn back home due to a horrendous storm. When they arrive, though, they come back to a dead town, with not an ounce of life left. Parents are gone, cell phones stop working. Not even televisions function anymore. Similar to Lord of the Flies, these kids are left all by themselves to survive on limited amounts of food. In the meantime, the characters also have to figure out what happened and how to “reverse” this issue. Theories range from a different universe to time machines. But, what makes this show so different? Well, first, this show was made to deal with issues that teens and young adults relate to, even without the immediate risk of death from a different universe. And, boy, did they do that.

Now Let’s Talk About Sex

No, seriously. We need to talk about it. In high school, sex is some sort of taboo subject. Who’s having it? Who isn’t having it? Am I ready? These are questions that very little people know the answers to, and that’s because it’s different for everyone. The Society discusses that, ranging from abstinent relationships to rape culture within toxic, unhealthy relationships. Sex is different for everyone, and the show takes this into consideration. In a world where sex becomes more and more common, it’s good to have media you can go to for questions or even simple awareness (God knows how awkward the talk can be.) These relationships can also serve as a sign of what unhealthy relationships do look like. A lack of consent and constant fear with your significant other isn’t normal; it’s toxic and dangerous.

Disabled Gay Characters: Finally!

I know it isn’t much, but can you name more than five shows that actually have a disabled character that isn’t just a pity character that fades into the background? I didn’t think so. In The Society, Sean Birdy (who is deaf himself) plays Sam, a quiet, deaf kid that faces the relentless bullying of his older stepbrother. Throughout the show, though, he becomes one of the main characters who gets taken seriously, and his disability isn’t the backbone of his character. He eventually comes out as gay and – get this – his sexuality doesn’t define him either. He is known for his kindness and intelligence throughout the season and it is so, so refreshing.

Morals: How Do You Have Them in a Government-less World?

This may not be the question you think to ask in your usual Intro to Poli-Sci class, but it holds true in this show. Maybe we don’t have to decide the severity of murder, but we do need to know how to work as a community. We will be the generation that will be parents, own businesses, and make laws. The Society teens have to pull it together quickly when they realize they have to live on their own for a while, and it doesn’t happen easily. They create a government, a schedule, a way to live. They set up teams that rotate responsibilities. They have to deal with a murder and avenging them. How do you make those sorts of decisions when you’re 17 and 18 years old? Would you make the same decisions as them? How would you divvy up food? What punishment does a murderer deserve? It’s important we analyze moral decisions and see how we can do better. The Society gives us that opportunity.

This show provides so many fresh characters and storylines that Netflix does not do too often; yet it was cancelled due to COVID-19, despite an overwhelming amount of positive feedback about its first season. They should have postponed filming for another year or two, as other shows and movies have done. Netflix has the resources for that. Even though the show was cancelled, the first season was still amazing and I encourage you to give it a try. Maybe… hopefully… Netflix will bring it back. Maybe.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!​

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.