This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I suppose I am a young girl looking for my everything. One girl on Instagram found hers in a boy called Sam. My classmate found hers in Renaissance Art History. My neighbor found his in a Gibson guitar. I just can’t figure out where mine lies. Is it in a boy or an area of study or a creative release, or is it in something else I haven’t even considered? How will I find it, how will I reach that sense of peace and completion?

I wonder if my everything might lie in, well, everything. What if I can only define myself with the people in my family and the foods I like to eat and the socks I wear and the music I listen to and the way my head always falls to the right when I sleep and the coconut smell of my lotion that seems to stick to all of my clothes and sheets? What if my everything isn’t something I need to break my back searching for, because it’s already there?

I think I want to consider my everything found, and begin living in a way that I feel complete. My everything may change with time—actually, I hope it does—but for now, I do not need to find any one thing to make me, me. 

I am my orange comforter and the trees across my window and the tea I drink when I’m sad and the little spin I do in the hallway when there’s nobody around and I’m listening to a funny song. 

I am my sister’s freckle on the back of her neck and I am my best friends’ random texts in our group chat. I am the tooth-brushing route I use every single time and I am the wrinkles on my parents’ foreheads. 

I love all of these things that make up my everything, even the ones that seem insignificant or trivial. And if I love all of that, I guess I love myself too. In fact, I know that.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Overall great girl.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.