Why Meeting Up with Friends During Break is so Hard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I didn’t feel too bad leaving my friends at the end of summer. We knew we would miss each other, but we also shared in the excitement. There was a silent understanding that we were both ready to pack our bags and get out of town. During my first two months in college, I began to filter the friends I kept in contact with. All of my friendships had changed; some were weakened and some became stronger. When Thanksgiving break came around, I knew exactly who I wanted to see.

Thanksgiving was bittersweet, with every interaction being both a hello and a goodbye. I felt this most strongly with two friends from my high school art class. When we reunited, we recounted our college experiences and concluded that we were happy at our respective universities. We were proud of each other’s accomplishments, and our friendship felt different – we selflessly listened to each other with genuine interest and love. We’d always been close in high school, but our distance brought us closer. By having time to establish our own identities, our personalities fit better together. When we parted ways, I began to realize how much I loved them. We’d gone through so much together, and after two months apart, the friendship stayed strong. This goodbye was harder than the first. I sobbed.

Take my story as an exmaple. As winter break approaches, surround yourself with the people that you really want to see. It’s a month to spend with the people that matter. Where there is genuine care, there is genuine friendship. Hold on to it and don’t let go.

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.