Why Joining the Band Was One of My Best Decisions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

We all remember the first few weeks of school, when clubs and groups were scrambling to find new members and we were trying to figure out where we would best fit among the established college students. For me, I knew from when I first saw the BU band play at freshman orientation that I wanted to be a part of it. And now, five months after joining Pep Band, I can say it was one of the best decisions I’ve made. Here’s why:

I get to continue my love for music in college.

It’s no secret that, going to college, we may not be able to be involved in the same activities that we were in high school. Music has been a huge part of my life since I was young, and I spent my middle and high school years in various ensembles, both in school and out. So for me, the thought of not being able to play piano in college was not one I wanted to linger on. Luckily, BU has a wide array of music ensembles, and there’s one suitable for everyone’s different schedules. Pep Band was the group best suited for me, and it allowed me to keep playing music while at a new school.

It’s a great support system.

When you’re in a group that cheers players on and pumps up the crowd, you’ll find that the same positive energy is there among bandmates too. It’s easy to start up a conversation with a band member and feel like you’ve known them for a while, even if it’s your first time talking to them. There’s a constant feeling of comradery, a knowledge that you have people there to back you up, and that there will always be someone to chant an extra verse of a cheer with you when you don’t stop in time. And when you’re new to college, that feeling can mean everything.

It’s high energy. 

Nothing can get me pumped quite as much as a game with the band can! Filling the stands, screaming for our team, and playing our BU song at every goal and buzzer is crazy exciting, and at the end of each game, I can’t wait for the next one.

I always have weekend plans.

What better way to spend a Friday or Saturday night than being a part of what BU is known for—hockey. Being in Pep Band gives us access to the games, and getting to watch our team while playing songs we all know and love is the perfect way to spend a weekend and have lots of fun while supporting our school! 

It got me interested in hockey.

I’ve never been one for watching sports on TV, and when I did, I could never get into it. Being in Pep Band introduced me to hockey, and, before long, I was learning the rules and found myself invested in the game, not just looking forward to intermissions. And while I don’t see myself following NHL hockey anytime soon, I can say I’m definitely a true Terrier when it comes to BU Hockey (beat BC!). 

It’s so fun!

Spending time with friends, playing awesome music, and cheering on our team is the perfect combination—and I get to experience it every week with the Pep Band!

Freshman year can be rough, but I’m glad I get to spend it with a group as great as the BU Pep Band!

Jessica is a senior at Boston University, studying in the School of Communication with a major in Mass Communication, a minor in Cinema & Media Studies and is on the Pre-Law Track. She made the move from Westchester, NY to Boston, and is living in a constant fear of the impending winter. When not in class, she could be found obsessing over Harry Potter or Buffy the Vampire Slayer, making poorly timed puns, or drinking an excess of tea.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.