Why I’m Obsessed with Conan Gray Right Now, and Why You Should Be Too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I’m always on the hunt for new music. I like to listen to new albums while doing homework (until I know the lyrics too well and switch to a new one). That’s how I started listening to Conan Gray’s music — and now I’m a huge fan. Here’s why I’m obsessed with Conan Gray right now, and why you should be too.

His music is Taylor Swift approved.

This is how I found Conan’s music in the first place — Taylor Swift posted a screenshot showing she was listening to Conan’s song “wish you were sober” back when his album Kid Krow was released. Taylor Swift is by far my favorite artist, so I’d trust her recommendations to be great music. Conan himself is a huge fan of Taylor, naming her as the artist he’d most like to collaborate with.

His lyrics are super relatable.

Even if you haven’t really heard of Conan Gray before, chances are you’ve heard his song “Heather,” especially if you use TikTok. “Heather” describes Conan’s jealousy towards a girl named Heather, whom the person he likes has a crush on. If you’ve ever experienced jealousy, you’ll relate to this song. There are also plenty of other songs with relatable lyrics (check out “Maniac” for a great angry breakup song and “Little League” when you’re feeling nostalgic).

He has an incredible fashion sense.

Toxic masculinity, who? I swear, he looks better in this skirt than I would. Check out his instagram @conangray for a bunch of other awesome outfits.

His songs encompass every mood.

Both of Conan’s albums (Sunset Season and Kid Krow) have a great blend of fast and slow songs. Two of my favorites from Kid Krow are “Maniac” and “The Story,” which could sonically not be more different. “Maniac” is a fast, loud, and upbeat song describing a toxic ex after a breakup, whereas “The Story” is a slow, bittersweet ballad that tells the story of a few different unnamed characters. Conan’s songs have a beautifully diverse variety of storytelling.

He recently collaborated with Lauv.

You definitely know Lauv from his hit song from 2017, “I like me better.” I’ve been a casual fan of Lauv’s music since then, and I was so excited to hear they were collaborating. Their new song “Fake” is a huge bop.

If none of these reasons have convinced you yet, just go give Conan Gray’s music a listen. Trust me, you’ll love it.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Gabrielle is a senior studying English at Boston University. When she's not writing for Her Campus, you can find her listening to Taylor Swift, reading a romance novel, or exploring new places in Boston. You can follow her on insta @gabriellepeck15.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.