Why I Believe in Astrology

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I’m not a religious person: I don’t believe in God, the church as an institution, or the religions that are entangled within that sphere. However, I do understand the belief that there’s something more–that every interaction we have is somehow meaningful in the grand scheme of life. That’s how I came to be a believer of astrology.

For me, the universe was created by accident. A collision or well-timed explosion put us here, along with a million other species that came before us and will outlive the human race. With some fantastic luck and complex processes we can’t begin to understand, we were created and adapted as species. It’s honestly fascinating: To think that the universe has no influence on human traits feels silly to me when the Moon influences the Earth from miles away and the sun provides energy for us from an even further distance.

Not to be confused, horoscopes and astrology are completely different. Horoscopes, the daily vague advice or information found in newspapers, are trash and undermine astrology as a discipline. Astrology is the study of how celestial object placement at our time of birth influences different characteristics of our personalities. Like most disciplines, it isn’t set into stone because the environment differs from person to person.

Credit: Jericha Tavares 

The chart above is my natal chart. As you can see, there are many signs and planets listed and if you don’t know what you’re looking at this can be meaningless. However, it carries 85% of the fun interpretable information. The basics of my natal chart will tell you that I’m reserved when I meet people but I’m outgoing when I’m comfortable, or if you know what it says, you’ll feel sorry that I have so much fire and passionate emotions.

I understand why people say that astrology is a scam– it isn’t scientifically backed and horoscopes provide a negative connotation. However, the existence of God has yet to be proven, yet people also blindly believe in Him.

Regardless of your faith, finding something to believe in can help us find hope and look forward to the future, while also grounding us to our own realities.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets

Jericha is a senior at Boston University studying Psychology and Public Health. In her free time, she enjoys listening to music, especially country and worships Taylor Swift and the band Joseph. She enjoys food and thinks avocados are too small for how expensive they are. When school is out of session, you can find her skillfully avoiding sunshine - working at Boston Children’s Hospital.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.