This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

When I first started watching Gilmore Girls a few years ago and Emily was introduced, I thought she was the most odious woman alive (gold stars for you if you get that reference) — what with her DAR meetings, constant brooding, looks that could kill, and perpetual grudge with Lorelai. But about halfway into season one, I couldn’t help but start to love the sassy remarks and pettiness at the Friday night dinners and her sporadic appearances at Chilton and the Independence Inn. 

The Friday night Gilmore dinners were some of the most well-written pieces of light-hearted comedy and awkward banter between the four Gilmores (mostly between Lorelai, Rory, and Emily) and made for some of the best scenes in Gilmore Girls. 

So in honor of the Queen of opinions and high-standards herself, here are the top ten moments that Emily Gilmore was the best Gilmore.

When she nonchalantly dragged Lorelai’s entire existence at the dinner table. 

Quote: “You can use your mother’s old golf clubs. They’re upstairs, gathering dust, along with the rest of her potential.” 

Emily held a grudge against Lorelai for getting pregnant at 16 and “wasting her full potential.”

When she had absolutely no cares in the world and just wanted to live her life.

Quote, in response to “Only prostitutes have two glasses of wine at lunch”: “Well, then buy me a boa and drive me to Reno because I am open for business.”

When she heard that Rory took the bus to Chilton instead of a car.

Quote: “I hate that she takes the bus. Drug dealers take the bus.”

How dare you take the bus to such an elite school, Rory Gilmore. 

When she and Lorelai beautifully modeled in the Chilton fund-raising fashion show together.

Though Lorelai and Emily both hated the idea of walking in a fashion show together at first, they strutted down the runway looking fabulous and effortlessly bold together. 

When Emily and Lorelai went to the spa and Lorelai took her to a bar for dinner.

Quote: “I certainly don’t eat at bars. Hookers eat at bars.”

Lorelai and Emily were starting to finally have a great time together without bantering, but it didn’t last long.

When she spoke the truth, again.

Quote: “When a woman gives birth to a crack baby, you do not buy her a puppy.”

Her one-liners were always the best part of every scene.

Her witty comments. Need I say more?

“Hold on. I’m looking up ‘aneurysm’ in our medical dictionary to see if I just had one.”

The sarcastic comments got better and better as the seasons went on. 

When Lorelai and Rory brought Emily and Richard leftover cake.

Quote: “You brought us used dessert?”

To Emily, bringing leftovers into her house meant it was “used.” If one of her many maids or a luxury catering service didn’t make it, she doesn’t want it.

When she didn’t want to waste any of her precious time.

Quote: “This is easily the most pointless conversation we’ve ever had.”

Emily’s time was extremely valuable to her and her schedule was always packed with society events. A waste of her time was inexcusable. Plus, Emily never squandered away an opportunity to jab Lorelai down a notch.

And finally, the insurmountable times that she made a dramatic storm-out. 

Completely effective and made us love her even more. 

Let’s be honest: No matter how much you love Lorelai’s coffee obsession and her unwavering ability to rant about any topic or Rory’s love for books or determination to be Christiane Amanpour, Emily Gilmore’s sassy retorts and contradictions are the real reason we all love Gilmore Girls.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Amber is a junior at Boston University studying Journalism and Advertising from Los Angeles, California. She loves reading Vogue, going to Disneyland, sipping lattes at trendy cafes, and anything and everything Harry Styles. When she’s not writing, you can usually find her binge-watching Gilmore Girls, baking fall-inspired treats, or hanging out with her sorority sisters. After she graduates, she hopes to attend law school or work in the fashion and media industry.