Career > Work

Why Business Majors Get a Bad Rep But Shouldn’t

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

“I hate all business majors, but maybe I’ll make an exception for you.”

That has been a common response from peers whenever I introduce myself as a business major. And it probably doesn’t help that the business students at BU are often referred to as “snakes.” 

When I first heard this statement, I was taken aback: after all, no one wants to be thought of as a snake! But why do business students receive such a different reaction compared to other majors — say, engineering, psychology, or international relations? 

Maybe it’s because business students are perceived as self-interested, greedy, or hungry for money and power. At top schools, there can be a cutthroat environment when it comes to networking, internship, and job opportunities. Throughout history, large corporations have come under fire for utilizing unethical methods to gain a competitive advantage. 

Others believe that students gravitate towards business because it’s considered an “easy” major. While the difficulty of a business degree highly depends on the concentration, required courses such as calculus, economics, accounting, or finance can be challenging for students of all academic backgrounds. 

It could be that business is viewed as a fallback for those who aren’t completely sure what they want to do after college. But is there anything wrong with selecting a degree for its versatility?

What the arguments above fail to consider is that many view a business degree as a means for creating social impact. In fact, it’s this very principle that inspired me to pursue a business education. 

2019 Fortune/NP Strategy poll found that among those ages 25 to 34, 80% aspire to work for “engaged” companies. As a result, many businesses are shifting their focus to benefitting the environment and the communities they serve rather than solely making a profit. Social entrepreneurship — defined by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce as “the process by which individuals, startups and entrepreneurs develop and fund solutions that directly address social issues” — is a rapidly growing discipline, marked by the popularity of companies like TomsWarby ParkerLush, and Patagonia. Due to their abundance of resources, businesses are increasingly called upon to innovate and adopt sustainable practices. Company goals might include ending world hunger, promoting gender equality, or increasing climate action, among many others. 

When college students are asked what they hope to do with their education, many would respond, “make a difference in the world.” For a substantial portion of business majors, this is no different.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Maddie is a freshman at BU studying Business Administration and is so excited to be writing for Her Campus this year! Outside of school, Maddie competes as a member of Team USA for Synchronized Ice Skating.