Why Being Sick in College is So Much Worse Than Being Sick at Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Being sick isn’t very pleasant in general but it’s somehow much worse when you’re in college. Here’s why being sick in college is a lot worse than being sick at home.

1. You can’t just skip class

Photo from Giphy

Well, you technically can but who actually wants to risk their GPA? Remember, pain is temporary, GPA is forever. Back in high school, you could afford to skip class and still get good grades, but that just isn’t the case in college. So when you wake up before your 8 a.m. with a sore throat, stuffy nose, and the desire to stay in bed all day, you’re actually going to have to leave the comfort of your warm bed and walk to class.

2. You don’t have time to go to the doctor 

Photo from Quick Meme

As if balancing class, a social life, and a decent amount of sleep weren’t enough, you now have to make your way to the doctor. Since you’re on your own now and your parents aren’t there to book your appointments and drag you to the doctor, it becomes a lot harder to do and a lot easier to put off. I mean, if it’s just the common flu and it’ll go away on its own, why waste time going to the doctor?

P.S. It won’t go away that soon.

P.P.S. It’s been over 2 weeks and I’m coughing while writing this.

3. No homemade comfort food 

Your parents won’t be there to make you soup or give you ice cream. Even worse, you’ll have to walk to a dining hall if you want food (Gasp!). As if getting out of bed wasn’t hard enough, whatever you end up eating at the dining hall probably won’t be nearly as good as the food your parents make, and it’ll just make being sick even worse.

All in all, being sick in college is unavoidable and is the absolute worst. Stay in bed as much as possible and maybe convince your roommate to bring you food and it’ll be a bit more bearable.

Clarissa is a senior majoring in Journalism at Boston University's College of Communication. Besides writing, Clarissa loves Srabble, astrology, and satire. ?
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.