Why the 2020 Season of The Bachelorette Will Be Different from the 2020 Season of The Bachelor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

By the time this article comes out, the Bachelorette will have already been announced on Good Morning America. Reportedly, Clare Crawley from Juan Pablo’s season is the new Bachelorette. If this is true, ABC has made quite a polarizing choice. Regardless of whether or not Clare is the new Bachelorette, ABC has been faced with the task of choosing someone who is not from this season of The Bachelor. There are two main reasons for this: criticism of this season of The Bachelor and a lack of fan favorites from this season. 

To start, this season of The Bachelor has been met with extreme criticism for its immature tone and for some of the questionable decisions Peter has made along the way. Many fans found this season annoying for one reason: the women are very young. All the arguments between the women seemed catty and immature. Viewers were not happy with the nature of the drama this season. 

Fans have also been extremely critical of some of Peter’s decisions. Many fans view his decisions as incredibly immature. Specifically, Peter’s volatile relationship with Victoria Fuller has angered many viewers. Some have even suggested that Victoria “gaslighted” Peter during a conversation they had on her hometown date. This relationship combined with how Peter handled drama with Alayah and Victoria P. has led many viewers to call this the worst season of The Bachelor. This is a big claim for fans to make, especially considering some other terrible Bachelors the franchise has had. 

It’s impossible for me to express how thankful I am for having the most amazing opportunity to find my girl. To every single woman that shows up tonight, thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking a chance on me. Through every high and every low, I had the time of my life getting to know you all and made memories I will cherish forever. Thank you for being patient with me when I needed it, your grace never went unnoticed. To everyone involved in playing a part to make all of this come together, thank you. You all know who you are and we’re family for life. To Bachelor Nation, you all have been absolutely amazing. I have felt the love non stop and it means so much that you have invested in me finding what I’m after. I hope you all enjoy the flight, we’re cleared for takeoff ✈️ #TheBachelor

A post shared by Peter Weber (@pilot_pete) on

ABC is very aware of what fans are saying and should have an understanding of the changes they must make for the next season of The Bachelorette. Clearly, with the Clare decision, ABC has gone from one extreme to another. After this season that was filled with young women and immature, catty drama, ABC and the Bachelor franchise is trying to mature the brand and bring back faith in the franchise. Viewers want real, raw emotions mixed with some drama, not a full season of seemingly emotionless relationships and catty drama. 

ABC and the Bachelor franchise have not come out of this season of The Bachelor with any great choices for Bachelorette. There are no fan favorites from this season besides Madison, who is expected to win. Therefore, ABC had to look to past seasons for the next Bachelorette. Other options that were thrown out were Tia from Arie’s season and Taysha from Colton’s season. Another polarizing option that was suggested by fans was a round two for last season’s Bachelorette Hannah Brown. However, ABC and The Bachelor decided to go in a different direction. I am very curious about how this next season of The Bachelorette will go. 

If Clare is the new Bachelorette, will you be watching? Who else did you want for this season of The Bachelorette? These are questions that any superfan of the franchise is sure to be asking right now.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Grace is a sophomore at Boston University. She is studying Public Relations with a minor in Anthropology. Grace is originally from Raleigh, North Carolina.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.