White Sandy Beaches and Endless Piña Coladas—Are All-Inclusive Resorts Worth It?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

For spring break, I took a trip with my boyfriend across the border to Cancun, Mexico. Cancun itself was breathtaking. The place was full of white sand beaches, rich blue seas and energetic, friendly people. We chose to stay at an all-inclusive resort that was priced a bit higher than the others. The resort, Riu Palace Peninsula, sat at the edge of Quintana Row, or what is commonly known as the hotel zone. Honestly, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Although this could be a thorough review of my resort, I decided, instead, to value my six-day stay with pros and cons. Was it really worth the price?

The resort was an overwhelming amount of purple, but that isn’t a complaint. Both the lobby and our room was decorated with the royal purple that gave the place a chic and contemporary vibe. When I walked into the resort, I was greeted by a bellhop that took my luggage and led me to the check-in counter. While checking in, a lady came up and offered us watermelon drinks … that was when I knew this was going to be a good week.

The room had a gorgeous view of our own private beach decorated with palm trees and lounge chairs and the Caribbean Sea that spread over the horizon. They had also laid a cute towel mermaid on the bed to greet us, and every day they cleaned our room, another towel animal showed up in the mermaid’s place.

The food was also ridiculously good. The breakfast and lunch buffet had a huge assortment, from French crepes to scrambled eggs to enchiladas to even a whole selection of cheeses. Every morning I went to try something new, and even on the day I left, I hadn’t made a dent on the selection of foods.

But what meals really stole my heart were the dinners. The Riu Palace Peninsula had about four or five restaurants that were included in the all-inclusive package, and each one we went to blew our minds. Each restaurant had something different to offer: there was a Mexican restaurant, a Japanese restaurant, and a Steakhouse. And each one offered fine dining and beautiful desserts.

However, besides laying on the beach and having Pina Coladas served to you (which I am not complaining about, at all), that was pretty much all you could do at an all-inclusive resort. The hotel offered a lot of excursions and shuttles to downtown or other restaurants, but all of those were extra costs.

So for a relaxing vacation to wind down, all-inclusive resorts are the place to go. For one set price, you get as much food and drink as you want, and during your stay, you are treated like royalty!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Originally from Bay Area, California, Miranda is a sophomore at Boston University studying Public Relations and a minor in Visual Arts. In her free time, she loves skating with her synchronized skating team, going to the movie theater, or doing yoga.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.