White Lies and Alibis: 4 Tips on How to Win Among Us as Imposter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Say hello to Among Us, the new, go-to game perfect for your zoom meetings and virtual club gatherings. Among Us is an online multi-player game that has gained a lot of traction lately and for a good reason too. Each player has one of two roles: Imposter or Crewmate. The Crewmates’ goal is to finish a list of defined tasks while the Imposters try to stealthily kill off all Crewmates without anyone guessing their identity. Similar to Mafia, Among Us is a social deduction game full of intrigue, betrayal, and strategy. Here are some tips on how you can win at Among Us the next time you are Imposter!

Blend In

The easiest way to look suspicious is if you are standing around or stalking someone. Gain credibility by faking tasks and not immediately killing all players you are alone in a room with. If there is a sabotage, pretend to run over and help fix it as well. This way, you will have an alibi when a Crewmate is found dead or at least some friends to help defend you. 

Don’t Peek Into Rooms

The best opportunity for an Imposter to make a kill is when a Crewmate is all alone in a room where there will be no witnesses. Bonus points if it is in a relatively obscure location on the map. However, while trying to catch a Crewmate alone, do not quickly go into rooms and then leave when you see more than one Crewmate there. Crewmates are going to find that suspicious and will probably kick you off the spaceship at the next emergency meeting. 

Notice When the Security Cameras are On

Another cool feature of the game is the security room, which shows four cameras wired to different parts of the spaceship. While moving around the map, you can tell when someone is watching from security by checking to see if the red light on the cameras are blinking. If you vent or kill within sight of the camera, whoever is watching from security will be able to see. 

Be Careful During Emergency Meetings

This is one of the most important parts of the game. Emergency meetings can be called directly by a player or when a kill is reported. All players will have to discuss the evidence and try to guess who the Imposter is. If you are playing over a video call, be very careful of your facial expressions and your pattern of speech. This is especially important when playing with friends or others who know you well because it is more likely that they will be able to detect when you are lying. 

While Among Us is a competitive game about snitching and lying, the deduction and cooperation required can also be considered an exercise in teamwork. In a time where people are unable to meet in person, it may feel difficult to form social connections. Among Us is great at breaking the ice and bringing people together. 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Cindy is a sophomore at BU, studying biology and computer science. In her free time, when she's not reading and writing HC articles, she is probably eating sushi and rewatching the Harry Potter movies for the 100th time. She also likes to keep active through hiking, practicing yoga, and playing tennis. Her life goal is to become a polyglot but so far, she's only fluent in two languages and barely has Dora the Explorer proficiency in the third.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.